No announcement yet.

Steering wheel issues

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel issues

I took my steering wheel off a while ago to fix up the cracks and make it look good again. Those chrome pieces that go in the wheel spokes dont seem to want to stay put when I try to put them back in. Is there a trick to this? Also, While I had the wheel off I decided to replace the shift lever and clean everything up in there and now it doesnt seem like the wheel is going down far enough when I tighten the nut. There is too much space between the horn ring and the little button it comes in contact with. How much shaft should be sticking out from the nut? I can't remember when I took it off.The shaft is about even with the top of the nut. I just want to make sure that I'm drawing the wheel down far enough. Thanks.

Rick

• Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Steering wheel issues

The reason the horn ring does come into contact with the horn button is that the steering column has probably shifted downwards when you removed the steering wheel. Loosen the two bolts holding the steering column under the dash and then push the steeering column back.

When you take out the chrome inserts in the steering wheel, it is easy to chip the holes they go into. You can glue them into place. Use a glue like silocon glue, than can be undone at some future date. Ordinarily, the chrome strips are just held in the holes by friction.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

RE: Steering wheel issues

You hit the nail on the head. The column did slip down a bit. Thanks.

Rick

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎