X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Electrical fuel pump

So i had (almost) always a very long cranking time before the Bird would wake up. The fuel bowls where always empty a day after the engine had been running. No leaks, so the fuel just evaporated that quickly (27% of ethanol in the fuel here).
    So i decided to put an electrical fuel pump close to the fuel tank, just to be able to prime the bowls before starting. I went with a Carter vane type pump, with a line around it with a checkvalve for the normal supply to the mechanical fuel pump. The starts are now immediately. The electrical pump is only for priming, but can be used in case the mechanical pump fails.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

The REAL root cause is your mechanical fuel pump. It already has a check valve incorporated into it. All that head pressure of fuel should have been there to immediately deliver at the first rpm, 'bowl fuel' or not.

So, you just added another one. Ok.

My classic sits for months at a time. I installed a check valve just before the pump because mine was not working, either. I got it on eBay for two bucks! Problem solved, now my engine starts BEFORE the first revolution.

Brian Wheeler was here with his wife for the Woodward Dream Cruise. We started the Y-Block several times during the cruise. It's consistently the same story.

Good to know you're happy with your setup. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

If I leave my '66 for more than three weeks between use I have to crank it for 10-15 seconds before fuel fills the carb, I guess the fuel just evaporates?

The rest of the time it cranks right up on the first twist of the key.

AND after sitting for a month or two it will miss/run rough until I put fresh fuel in it and go for a drive out on the highway, **** this modern fuel!
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Frango100
        Experienced
        • May 2 2016

I did put the extra check valve just before the mechanical fuel pump, but still the bowls where dry.
        I presume that the high percentage of ethanol (27%) has to do with this. Before, if i just started the engine and let it run for some 5 minutes and shut it off, there was no problem at starting the next several days. So it must have something to do with the fuel evaporating due to heat.
        Either way, problem is solved.
        sigpicFrank

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Frango100
          I did put the extra check valve just before the mechanical fuel pump, but still the bowls where dry.
          I presume that the high percentage of ethanol (27%) has to do with this. Before, if i just started the engine and let it run for some 5 minutes and shut it off, there was no problem at starting the next several days. So it must have something to do with the fuel evaporating due to heat.
          Either way, problem is solved.
          I used to fight the same issue on both the 58 and the 65. I actually bought an electric pump to wire in like you did, never got around to doing it.

What I find odd, I went to dual Holley carbs on the 58 and now the issue is gone. Either the Edelbrock carb was part of the problem, or the addition of a pressure regulator between the carbs and the pump helped? Both cars were running the Edelbrock carb, can't compare to the 65 though, I sold it

Comment

• Tbird6
            • Jul 3 2017

Do you make any adjustments so the car will run on 27%?
            I don't think a regular gas powered car could handle that high of a percentage?

Comment

• Frango100
              Experienced
              • May 2 2016

Originally posted by Tbird6
              Do you make any adjustments so the car will run on 27%?
              I don't think a regular gas powered car could handle that high of a percentage?
              I bought the Bird already with the Edelbrock 1405 carburator installed, so i don´t know if they had to make any adjustments or change any settings. The engine runs at least quite well on it.
              sigpicFrank

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎