X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

backup lights do not work

car: 1965 thunderbird coupe

issue: backup lights do not operate

discussion:

new to this forum! Have a 1965 t-bird..where is the backup light switch located??..where can this item be purchased?

interestingly- the shift indicator does not illuminate with
    headlights on..wonder if these issues r related???

thanx.............
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The backup lights are controlled by the neutral switch on the steering column under the dash. I would check the fuse first. It doesn't have anything to do with the shift indicator light.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

does this mean the neutral s switch has to be replaced?

fuse is ok

can i get a wiring or parts diagram somewhere to show this part?

tx

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Ed, do you have a, '1965 Thunderbird Shop Manual'? That is the first thing on the list of 'most important restorer aids'. These manuals are available at all the parts vendors and on eBay.

We have electrical schematics but they don't really show you where the switch is located. They tell wire colors and how devices are wired.

CLICK HERE for the RH side of the page, and

CLICK HERE for the LH side.
        (The Neutral Safety Switch is on the RH side.)

Copy these to your hard drive then print them out, paste the two halves together and laminate them.

You leave too many unanswered questions. Without feedback from you, this turns into a guessing game for us.
        Are both light bulbs good?
        Do you have solid grounds at the lamp holders?
        Did you try shaking the gear shift up/dn and watch for a flicker at the bulbs? ...you see this could go on forever...

Give us a lot more info about what you have checked and what you have found. We can help you from there. BTW, I have never seen a neutral switch go bad. I HAVE seen T-birds that do not have the backup light option (I'm not saying yours doesn't). - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• LuckyJay
          • Jan 4 2007

Not sure if this is relevant, the older Birds had to have the Headlights on to get the Backup lights to work (after all you only need backup lights in the dark, right?). Not so with the cars of today.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
            Super-Experienced
            • Dec 23 2008

Originally posted by LuckyJay
            Not sure if this is relevant, the older Birds had to have the Headlights on to get the Backup lights to work (after all you only need backup lights in the dark, right?). Not so with the cars of today.
            My 57 was this way, anyone know when Ford changed to make the back up lights work all the time?

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎