X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SandyBoy
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 31 2002

I wanna buy a new car, but

my wife says: NO! She has a mint, flawless, concours condition 9 year old, 56,000 mile Jeep Cherokee. Now, THAT is THE original Cherokee, the little one, the square box, one. The interior is akin to a car on the showroom floor, every last item is origial and flawless. We ordered it new, with EVERY possible option! It arrved at the dealership wearing 2 window stickers, as there was not enough room on one to list it all. There is not a door ding, scratch, dent, rust, anywhere on it. The floor carpet is totally new condition, front, back & cargo area.
    It's at an equipment level that most GRAND Cherokees do not reach.
    Well, that said, it *IS* 9 years old, and as a daily driver, I'd like to replace it. I went to see the new Ford Taurus AWD SHO with the
    Turbo and all. It's absolutely beautiful !! Inside, you'd think you are in a Lincoln, never a Ford !
    Wife fainted! The window sticker was $47,758.xx
    You'd think I was trying to buy a 2009 Rolls Royce Convertible,
    to hear all the reasons not to buy it.

Closer to home, I stopped to see a 2009 Pontiac G8 GXT.
    the one with the Corvette engine & tranny. My wife would
    not get outta the car, at the Pontiac dealer. It's a fast
    HiPo sedan, with nice interior, but the Taurus interior, I
    thought was nicer.
    We went home. New Car-less. I am beginning to think that
    we are married to the Jeep. Forever. We are both 62,
    our son is BOTH a CPA and an Attorney, and he is more than "set".
    I just wanna live a bit and buy my wife a nice new car.
    GRRrrrrrrr Where be that angry face ??
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by SandyBoy
    my wife says: NO! ...I just wanna live a bit and buy my wife a nice new car.
    GRRrrrrrrr Where be that angry face ??
    SandyBoy, I'm reading that YOU would be happy buying your wife a new car. I'm also reading that she is very happy with the car she has.

Did you ever HATE giving up a car you really loved? It happened to me a few times. The last one was the pits, but I had to give him up because 18 Michigan winters rusted the body so badly, it rendered the car un-road worthy (alright, it was unsafe to drive).

Mine had a definate end. Hers doesn't. She will always wonder what happened to that Jeep; her baby that she loved dearly. When she is ready for a change, she will let you know.
    - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Penelope
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 4 2008

Sandy, opportunity knocks.....she doesn't want a new car so save money and buy yourself a squarebird so that you can both enjoy it together. Bart still has his magnificent car for sale and knowing how you look after your cars...that would be perfect for both you and Bart's car. Problem solved and overall, money saved!
      sigpicBill
      Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

Hey Sandy,
        I was in the same boat several years ago. I had spotted a 1997 Thunderbird LX. I had drove it and it was wicked!!! We had a 1993 Mercury Villager van. I finally talked her into trading for the Thunderbird. She hated it from day one. That thing would run like a scalded dog. The only problem you could pee under the back wheels and it would sit there and spin the back tires. I got scared she was going to get hurt in it and we traded it in for another Mercury van. So much for the hot rod Thunderbird!!!
        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

Iīm not sure if it is the cars or wifes that are the problem...
          Canīt you buy the car but park it somewhere else?
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Sandy
            I have been with my wife for 54 years and I have learned that when she says no I might as well forget it when I try to buy her something, but If I just go ahead and get it she just says !@#$%@%^&^^*&&*&* and I have to sleep in the basement.Good Luck.

Comment

• SandyBoy
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 31 2002

Very very amazing that Bob M. AND (especially) DAVE actually know my wife. I never knew that the 3 of you had met. !

SOooo, Okay. No new car is coming to replace her beloved
              Cherokee. BTW - the car has a name, as given by my wife,
              and the name is "JEEPERS"

Sometimes she'll leave me a note, when I am out,
              something like this:

"I took Jeepers and we went to Target and I will bring home
              salads for us and garlic bread for you. I fed Jeepers at the
              Sunoco watering hole."

Ya, she loves him, allright. He runs fine on regular, she talks to him
              and buys him premium!

Here is the little dear:

Last edited by SandyBoy; August 25, 2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by SandyBoy
                Very very amazing that Bob M. AND (especially) DAVE actually know my wife. I never knew that the 3 of you had met. !
                ...the spouse is ALWAYS the last to know...
                Go ahead and take Jeepers away (right, Bob?). While you're sleeping in that new replacement car in the garage, don't play the radio too loud, you might wake up the neighbors. BTW, show this to your wife and see if she agrees with Bob and I.
                - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbird430
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 18 2007

WOW. That is a nice CLEAN Jeep. I like the color too, the alumnium wheels look great against that ext. color.

sigpic
                  The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Hey Guys,
                    I always get the last word with my wife!
                    YES MAM!!!
                    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Dutchbird
                      Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

A friend of mine always says:

The husband is the head of the family......................................but the wife is the neck!
                      (and where the neck turns the head goes )

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

My wife, Robin Dawn, is Ojibwa Indian (of the Great Lakes region). She asked me to buy her something really expensive. I did! I bought her Intrepid a tank of gas, and changed her oil. We shared different opinions about that, and she had no trouble letting me know her thoughts. My other choice was shot down, too. I was going to take her fishing, and buy her a nice new rod and reel.

I overheard her mumbling something about, rocking me to sleep, and using large rocks. I don't mess with anyone who is, 'at one with the earth'. The odds are against me, so I'm with Richard; "Yes, Ma'am."

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

several years ago I talked to my wife about buying a Jeep Wrangler and of course she was totally against such an impractical vehicle. I waited a year and told her I was saving up $10,000 for a motorcycle. I rode a lot when I was younger and it was time for another one. This wasnt going over very well AT ALL. "YOUR GOING TO KILL YOURSELF!!" When I had 10 grand saved I said to her, " Ya know, maybe I should put this money down on a Jeep instead." She was so releaved and told me that was a great idea. Worked out very nice.

Comment

• Anders
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by chewrocks
                            several years ago I talked to my wife about buying a Jeep Wrangler and of course she was totally against such an impractical vehicle. I waited a year and told her I was saving up $10,000 for a motorcycle. I rode a lot when I was younger and it was time for another one. This wasnt going over very well AT ALL. "YOUR GOING TO KILL YOURSELF!!" When I had 10 grand saved I said to her, " Ya know, maybe I should put this money down on a Jeep instead." She was so releaved and told me that was a great idea. Worked out very nice.
                            Thatīs the spirit!
                            Last edited by Anders; August 25, 2009, 07:18 PM.
                            sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Coral
                              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Hey Sandy....I'm gonna have to take yer wife's side here, Jeepers looks about perfect, and if "nothings broke....why try to fix it" ?

Having a lovely bit of history like Bart's Raven would be a feather in both your caps! Since everythings been done to that 'Bird it will BE like a new car!

Half the price of the other two you looked at, and more luxurious, let's not forget the J-Code 430, which would spank either of them...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎