No announcement yet.

Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Question

Restoring 1960-430. Old 4 wire harnass runs across top of engine on driver's side. Starts from electric plug near fire wall. First wire splits off to temperature sender. Near end, one wire goes to clutch on A/C compressor. Of other two wires, one book I have shows one wire to Coil (Batt+) and other to Oil pressure sender. Other diag. I have shows two wires to Coil (Batt+) I think car needs full 12 volts to coil when ignition starting which then drops to approx. 6-9 volts during running. Some say one of the two wires to the coil is a resistant wire which drops the voltage. If this is the case I then don't have aaire to pickup the oil pressure sender. If one wire goes to coil and other to sender then how do I get reduced voltage. My project car does not have a ballast resister on it. Does it need one? If so where to mount and how wired- from starter relay to resister to coil? Can anyone help me with the correct wiring explanation? Is a 1959 430 wired differently than a 1960 in this area? Any help would be appreciated.

RE: Wiring Question

The 59 has a external ballist resistor that attaches to the firewall. The 60 has internal resistor. I believe it is a pink wire.
    Please note this is what I found to be true on a 352.
    Good Luck.

There are other explaination of this same situation. Click on the search portion of this site

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

RE: Wiring Question

The 1960 used a resistor wire, it is C0LF 12250-A. The one I'm looking at is about 50" long, pink wire w/tar like sheathing except for about 5", and a bullet connector on each end. I've parted out several 1960's and have two 1960 430's but I must admit, I do not know where this wire is installed.
      The 60 430 has a black wire that goes to the + terminal on the coil, the other coil wire "-" goes to the distributor. The wire to the oil sender is a white wire with a red tracer. Not sure of the wire color for the A/C clutch, but I recall they are black.
      I do know there is no external resistor on the 1960 and there are no provisions for this wire w/the bullet connectors in the engine feed harness. It could be between the ignition switch and the firewall connector, but I've never seen it.
      Perhaps this wire is a service replacement that must be spliced in by adding a female bullet connector in the ignition circuit.
      Hopefully, someone will have more info on this.
      Carl

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎