X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

power steering hose leak

I had a flexible PS hose made locally to replace the hard line from the Control Valve to the Ram. The fitting at the Ram continues to leak, I've loosen and retightened many times hoping to seat the new line with the old Ram, to no avail.

I was thinking that a copper washer in the shape of the flair may help seat the line, can't find anyone to supply it or that knows if it's available.

Any suggestions? To tighten anymore would run the risk of damage to the threads or housing.
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Have you tried a rubber o-ring. Figure they use them on the top pumps. Might work on the PS ram as a quick fix.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

Ken,
      Is it possible that the ferrule that the flared end contacts in the housing is damaged?
      I remember seeing an image of someone removing and replacing one in some publication, shop manual perhaps?
      I've never seen them available, but there might be something out there.
      Are your flare angles the same?
      Why not try a flat thin copper washer that will deform as it is tightened>
      Just some thoughts,
      Carl

Comment

• GTE427
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 9 2007

I did see mention that there are replaceable seats on the Control Valve (CV) and Ram in service literature. Couldn't find the seat in the parts catalog as a separate item.

The Ram fitting wasn't leaking when the rigid line was installed, the CV fitting was. Now that I've replaced the rigid line, the Ram leaks and the CV is dry. I didn't consider the Ram seat to be damaged.

I'll locate a copper washer and take it apart this weekend for a closer inspection of the Ram seat and the flare of the new line.

If anyone knows of a source for seats in the hydraulic components, please respond. Bart had his CV rebuilt in Texas, possible that vendor can help.
        Ken
        1959 J Convertible
        1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• GTE427
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 9 2007

I found Bart's post, he used Precision Products of San Antonio for his rebuild.

The item is called a Hose Tube Seat, PN PP-613PR, look under the Power Cylinder parts tab. They are wholesale only, didn't pick up the phone, I'll try back.

Ken
          1959 J Convertible
          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎