Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKastl
    • Jan 31 2009

Trunk Light question...

Question, has anyone ever seen the trunk light assembly before on a '61 -'63 generation Tbird??? Any help in identifying would be great if you have seen this type before...

regards,

Art K.
    '62 HT (Raven Blk / Red)
    Original / Unrestored
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

Hi Art, I no longer have my '61 but it was the same as the other pictures shown on the VTCI Forun. Having said that I like yours better. You can see that there's good taste to the finish. I know you're a stickler for originality, what's going to happen if you find that yours isn't the real mackoy?

Chris...From the land of OZ.

Comment

• AKastl
      • Jan 31 2009

Chris - good question... Really, all I want to know is if Wixom used this setup for a period of time and if so, what did it come from. As you know, I can attest to the fact that that trunk light has been on the car for the last 43 years we've owned the car.

Really, I wouldn't take it off... I've found so many minor discrepencies and possible OFS updates this is where my passion peaks !!!

'62 HT (Raven Blk / Red)
      Original / Unrestored

Comment

• bird 60
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 18 2009

Art, What's your serial number, early or late '62.
        Maybe they started with that look & finished with the other or Visa Versy?

Chris

Comment

• AKastl
          • Jan 31 2009

Actually, my build date is April, 24th, 1962 (right in the middle of the early/late "cusp")... My 62 HT is truly a "mutt" of early and late parts... I'll have to follow through on your idea when I can view more "3rd Gens" at our local 'bird shows here in Chicago this spring. Thanks for responding
          '62 HT (Raven Blk / Red)
          Original / Unrestored

Comment

• Petrolhead
            Experienced
            • Jul 2 2007

No, haven't seen one like it. My '62 has the light located in an opening in the trunk's centre vertical reinforcing rib

Comment

• AKastl
              • Jan 31 2009

Finally found out the reason for the "mystery trunk light". Mine below was:

Found out that another member remembered this design and said it's off a '68 Cougar !!! Now, I did have a '67 Hi-Po Cougar back in the early 70's...

Below is a pic after I pulled this light assembly out:

You can see above that there was a splice in the wiring, and the wiring is actually slightly different. It makes sense to me that Dad simply removed the light from my Cougar (wasn't using the car at that time) and installed it in the 'bird. He didn't want to snake the complete wiring through the deck lid channel so he simply pulled enough out to get a good splice and go from there. Maybe the mercury switch let go ??? Who knows...

I replaced the Cougar light assembly with this style which is "correct" for the 3rd Gens.

Case solved!

'62 HT (Raven Blk / Red)
              Original / Unrestored

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎