X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

So, I've been quietly working on my 58

I'm aware a lot of you on here won't like my progress, but here she is...

I'm hopeful with my schedule, I fire her up next month or so to see what it sounds like.

She also got a bit of work on her nose.

Cheers
    RustyNCA

Click on small pix for larger view.
    Last edited by YellowRose; February 16, 2017, 09:26 PM. Reason: Additional Information
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Well, I don't know about anyone else but I love your setup. Is that a GM blower? Are you using forged pistons? C'mon, give us the skinny, like C.I., heads, compression ratios, cam duration, etc. You can expect ~40% more ponies over stock depending on your blower's %. It sure beats centrifugal setups and the chrome is beautiful.

What trans? RE? Tires?
    I want a ride! - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Now that's going to put some "Thunder" in Thunderbird.

You are definitely going to have to do a youtube video so we can see AND hear.

Wowzers!

We need to get you and Greg on a drag strip.

NICE!!!

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        Well, I don't know about anyone else but I love your setup. Is that a GM blower? Are you using forged pistons? C'mon, give us the skinny, like C.I., heads, compression ratios, cam duration, etc. You can expect ~40% more ponies over stock depending on your blower's %. It sure beats centrifugal setups and the chrome is beautiful.

What trans? RE? Tires?
        I want a ride! - Dave
        Yes, it's a Hampton 671 blower based of the GM model. We set it on a Blue Thunder Intake with a 2.5" riser to clear the distributor. We are running dual Holley 4150 650s with manual sec and no chokes.

Motor is a 390 with factory 390GT heads we think. Compression is 9:1 or so, blower should run about 7 to 8 lbs boost the way I have it setup right now.

Cam is a 236/236 572/572 108 103

Tran is a C6 with a 9" out back(right now stock stall, which I'm sure will not stay in there). I haven't done anything with the rear end yet. She will need some changing when I get there.

Rear tires are 275x45x17s, not really a drag setup at this point. Same tires I have on the rear of the olds also sitting in the one photo.

I still have to finish the throttle linkage, fuel lines and get the correct belt, I ended up with one about 6" to long, and run the coolant lines. Click on small pic for bigger view.
        Last edited by YellowRose; February 16, 2017, 09:24 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by RustyNCa
          ...Tran is a C6 with a 9" out back(right now stock stall, which I'm sure will not stay in there). I haven't done anything with the rear end yet. She will need some changing when I get there...
          Are you keeping the coil spring setup for the RE? (I hope you go with leafs on the same axle.)

Yeah, you need a stall converter. With your cam, driving is a fight w/OEM. Also consider a lower RE gear, just to keep the RE from breaking.

Are your pistons forged? This is important when using a blower.
          Love, love, love your setup so far. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

Are you keeping the coil spring setup for the RE? (I hope you go with leafs on the same axle.)

Yeah, you need a stall converter. With your cam, driving is a fight w/OEM. Also consider a lower RE gear, just to keep the RE from breaking.

Are your pistons forged? This is important when using a blower.
            Love, love, love your setup so far. - Dave
            Yeah, the 390 is just getting me out the door. Think of it this way, I had the blower and wanted to get it running and installed. Then we will build a real blower motor for it. We have another motor, a Mercury 410 with low miles we are thinking of building and going forged with alum heads all that on it. Same with the rear end, it won't stay the stock 3.0 open. I've never owned a blower motor vehicle yet, so I'm excited about the learning I've been doing.

We are thinking on the rear, we will either go with a four link, or even a HotRod's to **** setup. I do have a full Cobra cradle, but I haven't figured yet if it's width is okay, since I would like to narrow the rear end up from what it is. And the Cobra also does seem to fight wheel hop from what I've read? And if all the work that would require is even worth the effort...

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

I love the Cobra cradle. It's so convenient and easy to adapt.

The 390 is a great engine. It shares the same crank as an FE 427. I know some folks used a 410 crank in the 390 but not sure if the Mercury is the same. If you can't tell, I prefer the 390 because it's commonly available everywhere and so much can be done to it because of aftermarket support.

My next choice is the 351W-based 427 (Coyote) engine. 351Windsors are everywhere because they are SBF. Ford put them in Mustang Cobra, F-150 Harley trucks, Lightning trucks and a host of full size cars. Great engine, great support and many come with roller cams and EFI. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• RustyNCa
                Super-Experienced
                • May 31 2007

I love the Cobra cradle. It's so convenient and easy to adapt.

The 390 is a great engine. It shares the same crank as an FE 427. I know some folks used a 410 crank in the 390 but not sure if the Mercury is the same. If you can't tell, I prefer the 390 because it's commonly available everywhere and so much can be done to it because of aftermarket support.

My next choice is the 351W-based 427 (Coyote) engine. 351Windsors are everywhere because they are SBF. Ford put them in Mustang Cobra, F-150 Harley trucks, Lightning trucks and a host of full size cars. Great engine, great support and many come with roller cams and EFI. - Dave
                What I was told is the 410, is basically the 390 with the 428 crank? At least that is what a friend of mine told me, well the guy that gave me the motor.

The Cobra rear end I have seems perfect. LSD with 3.73 gears and the axle shafts are massive. Has a nice stout sway bar. I'd just need to fab up a way to mount the cradle under the car. My one worry is the width, I haven't sat and looked hard at it yet.

I actually picked it and two Lincoln 8.8 cradles from a client when they were available. Reason I grabbed them was for our CTS-V, but then I read what the balance of that conversion was costing and kinda halted it.

He had a 56 TBird with a supercharged Coyote and the Cobra 8.8 out back, and the cradles I grabbed were "extra"

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

...The Cobra rear end I have seems perfect. LSD with 3.73 gears and the axle shafts are massive. Has a nice stout sway bar. I'd just need to fab up a way to mount the cradle under the car. My one worry is the width, I haven't sat and looked hard at it yet.

I actually picked it and two Lincoln 8.8 cradles from a client when they were available. Reason I grabbed them was for our CTS-V, but then I read what the balance of that conversion was costing and kinda halted it.

He had a 56 TBird with a supercharged Coyote and the Cobra 8.8 out back, and the cradles I grabbed were "extra"
                  The width of the 8.8 isn't much different from the 9". Mustang GTs used straight 8.8 axles. Cobras are the exact same body with a cradle bolted on instead of the straight axle. The big difference is, independent suspension.

Your 9" is actually stronger than the 8.8 and I don't know if I would trust the independent axles with that much HP. All you need is a pair of leaf springs and four perches from a '59 or '60, bolted to your 9" axle.

3.77 may be ok for your C-6 but you're crankin' over 500HP. I wouldn't go any taller than 3.90:1. I ran a 4.30 posi in my Mustang for many years but it was fed with an AOD. The C-6 is stronger than an AOD but you're limited to three gears.

Here's something that will help you... The sun gear from an E4OD will fit your C-6. First gear will be ~20% lower, second will be ~15% lower and third is stock (straight through). I did this on my C-6 and it really helps a tall RE gear. You still need a stall converter. Any good gear and axle shop should have parts, or know where to get them.

Now you have to make some choices... - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Aug 27 2008

Bryan - you might want to send a PM to Tom Wollenburg (Tom's bird) here on the forum. He is currently installing leaf springs on his '58 and replacing the springs (along with rear discs and some other upgrades). Guess that could help with the decision.
                    Tom's a super nice guy - I'm sure he can give you some details on what was needed.

Eric

Comment

• OX1
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Feb 10 2016

Whats the plan for the hood? Pins?

Otherwise love it and do agree that you should leave the 9".

I'm aware a lot of you on here won't like my progress, but here she is...

I'm hopeful with my schedule, I fire her up next month or so to see what it sounds like.

She also got a bit of work on her nose.

Cheers
                      RustyNCA

Click on small pix for larger view.
                      59-430-HT

Comment

• RustyNCa
                        Super-Experienced
                        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by OX1
                        Whats the plan for the hood? Pins?

Otherwise love it and do agree that you should leave the 9".
                        I have a spare hood that I am hoping I can cut such that it can still hinge down over the entire thing.

To be honest, I have not been worrying bout that stage of the build till I get there.

I've been trying to do this without making un-reversible? changes to the car, so far I have accomplished that. Right now I can still pull this mess out and stuff the original drive train I kept back in, if I was so inclined anyway.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                          Super-Experienced
                          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by DKheld
                          Bryan - you might want to send a PM to Tom Wollenburg (Tom's bird) here on the forum. He is currently installing leaf springs on his '58 and replacing the springs (along with rear discs and some other upgrades). Guess that could help with the decision.
                          Tom's a super nice guy - I'm sure he can give you some details on what was needed.

Eric
                          That would be interesting, then I could run that rear sway bar I tried that would only work on a leaf spring rear end.

On my list is doing rear discs, the drums just get in the way.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                            Super-Experienced
                            • May 31 2007

The width of the 8.8 isn't much different from the 9". Mustang GTs used straight 8.8 axles. Cobras are the exact same body with a cradle bolted on instead of the straight axle. The big difference is, independent suspension.

Your 9" is actually stronger than the 8.8 and I don't know if I would trust the independent axles with that much HP. All you need is a pair of leaf springs and four perches from a '59 or '60, bolted to your 9" axle.

3.77 may be ok for your C-6 but you're crankin' over 500HP. I wouldn't go any taller than 3.90:1. I ran a 4.30 posi in my Mustang for many years but it was fed with an AOD. The C-6 is stronger than an AOD but you're limited to three gears.

Here's something that will help you... The sun gear from an E4OD will fit your C-6. First gear will be ~20% lower, second will be ~15% lower and third is stock (straight through). I did this on my C-6 and it really helps a tall RE gear. You still need a stall converter. Any good gear and axle shop should have parts, or know where to get them.

Now you have to make some choices... - Dave
                            Thanks for the info Dave. I know some of the V guys are running over 800 to 1,100 HP through their 8.8s, but they are running custom axles built for the power. Hard to imagine those 4 door Cadillacs out there with 800 plus eh?

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jun 30 2009

NICE! Curious to see what you do with the hood. I am also going to have to modify mine at some point.

mattyel is going to have a blown 460 in his car. I've seen some pics on facebook. (he lives in Australia)
                              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎