No announcement yet.

aftermarket speaker installs.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

aftermarket speaker installs.

Hi all, I'm at the point of trying to figure out where to install some aftermarket speakers in my 58.
    I'd like to run front and rear and at a minimum 6".
    What have others done, pics would be even better.
    Cheers Chris.
  • arizonajack
    Experienced
    • Oct 15 2013

Whatever you do, don't do this.
    Attached Files

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by chris58
      Hi all, I'm at the point of trying to figure out where to install some aftermarket speakers in my 58.
      I'd like to run front and rear and at a minimum 6".
      What have others done, pics would be even better.
      Cheers Chris.
      I'm running a set of speakers in the doors at the back for the rear, a set of 12s in the trunk and plan to install a set of small 5" speakers I have in the front kick panel.

I don't have any photos of the door setup, and I am not running what I would do long term, since I have yet to do anything with the factory original interior. Which as one can imagine is a bit tired.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

get one of those small portable speakers that you can plug an iPod into.
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Thanks fellas, it's a tricky one.
          I think the front kick panels will easily take some speakers but the rear is a bit tougher. I'm thinking using some spacers on the trim under the quarter windows but need to be sure.
          Arizonajack have u had issues with them there or you just talking about the look of them.
          Dakota boy not a hope in ****. Now I've got the windsor running I've noticed I'm going to need some decent speakers to hear anything, she's a bit noisy haha.

Comment

• del
            Retired Expert Enthusiast
            • May 11 2010

Hi Chris,
            I bought a set of front kick panels from Carl Heller ~partsetal on here ~ sprayed them with SEM Colorcoat Portola Red and installed as shown in the pics, along with a pair of underseat StealthII speaker boxes. This setup works great (IMHO) with the Gary Tayman FMR-1 radio conversion.

There is a small amount of clearance <1/2" behind the kick panels at that location on both sides, so I cut holes for the backend of the speakers to stick through. Made the speaker mounts out of some scrap PVC. I will probably someday upgrade the front speakers with something better quality but I'm happy so far with the results.
            Attached Files
            Regards,
            Don Vincent
            Amherst NY
            1960 HT 352
            TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Tbird1044
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 31 2012

I'll attach some pics of speaker install in a friends car. Front in kick panel and rear in arm rests.
              Nyles
              Attached Files

Comment

Excellent, the front kick panels look like a definite.
                Nyles that rear speaker install is definitely different, I never thought about there.
                I wonder how well it works.
                Cheers Chris.

Comment

• arizonajack
                  Experienced
                  • Oct 15 2013

Mine were done by an owner long before me and I'm left with big holes in the door panels and door metal. I've never been happy with it but I have to admit that I like the black on red in Del's photos.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 30 2009

I never like to see speaker holes cut into the panels on any old car; no matter what make or model. But that is just my personal opinion.

I suppose it is the same for people who like unfettered original 3-window coupes, and then a chopped one drives by....
                    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

I don't have a '58 but for my '64 I installed two 4" speakers in the dash, replacing the original 4x10 oval. For the rears I mounted slim line 5x7 ovals in the B pillar behind the headliner.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎