X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Transmission rebuild kit

My Cruise-O-Matic is not working 100% ok and when i measured the control pressure a while ago it was well below the values mentioned in the manual.
    So i´m not in a hurry, but when i have some spare time, i want to lower the transmission and rebuild it with all new seals and plates.
    Anyone can recommend a good brand rebuild kit for the Ford MX transmission? I see several brands on e-bay, but no idea which one is good. I don´t see any brand which has the bands in the kit as well, are they normally re-furbished?
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Frango100
    ...i want to lower the transmission and rebuild it with all new seals and plates...
    I strongly suggest you contact a good transmission shop. Here's why:

Transmission kits can fit a host of Ford transmissions because they are very similar inside. Most kits do not come with 'steels or fibers'. Bands normally last a very long time unless the transmission was run dry or with a low fluid level. If bands are burned or worn out, our places exchange them for new, much like brake shoes.

Correct seals depend on correct hydraulic oil compatibility or they won't last long. All the old seals eventually leak from heat which hardens and shrinks the seals. So, new seals is a 'must have'.

OEM steels and fibers may be different from aftermarket. Some simply don't work as well as OEM. I looked at mine and decided to put the originals right back in (instead of using the new that I just bought).

My bands were good, too. They have a thin lining that is bonded to the band. Years of use made them 'bed-in'. If they were worn I would have exchanged them for new. But, even new bands will need an adjustment after the 'bed-in' period.

When cleaning your parts, pay close attention to your pumps for wear. If they look good, as most do, put them back together along with the new seals. Kits do not include all the bearings, especially brass sleeve bearings.

Ok, I led you around the barn. Now, realize that transmission shops do this kind of work frequently. They usually have good sources for bands, bearings, steel and fiber packs, gears, etc. If they cannot get parts from central warehouses they will order them. Either way, transmission shops stake their reputation on good work which includes reliable parts. Their experience tells them what parts to avoid and what parts work the best. In addition, new seals are needed but so is a thorough washing, close inspection and proper setup. Bands can be tried and adjusted on the bench using compressed air to actuate them.

Take lots of pictures as you go. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

Thanks for the answer Dave. The problem is that here in Brazil automatic transmissions are not that common yet, so there are also a few transmission shops. I had a problem with my Jeeps automatic transmission and it went to a "reputable" transmission shop. They had to remove the transmission three times and after the last time they mounted the internals wrongly, where after a stator disc started rotating inside the housing and worn away a part of the housing. So i don´t thrust the guys overhere.
      Besides that, they won´t have any parts for a 1958 Ford.
      I see several kits for the FMX transmission, but none which states MX.
      sigpicFrank

Comment

• bpetska
        Apprentice
        • Feb 15 2013

Transmission Rebuild Kit

I got all parts for my 60 large case com from Fatsco Transmission parts. I sent the large band in and they relined it. You may give them a call and see if they have what you need.
        Bill

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

...So i don´t thrust the guys overhere.
          Besides that, they won´t have any parts for a 1958 Ford...
          Cruise-O-Matic transmissions are not common over here, either. Most of the transmission mechanics who know these gear boxes are retired or gone because your transmission is 60 years old.
          We have parts but none of the transmission shops have them on the shelf. We schedule rebuild jobs and pre-order 'standard' parts in anticipation. 'Technical' parts (like bands and bearings) must be ordered individually. That's why warehouses, who have all the parts, service transmission shops, who do all the work.

I suggested you contact a good transmission shop.

We hear horror stories from people all over the world with the same complaint. One of our German members paid for a total overhaul but it was proved, they never opened the transmission. So much for 'superior' German mechanics. So, where ever good transmission shops live, you need to contact them. We still have some in the USA but you better hurry. Our guys are looking for retirement, not another transmission job.

Originally posted by bpetska
          ...You may give them a call and see if they have what you need...
          He doesn't know what he needs until the trans is on the bench and disassembled. He is trying to cover all his bases before the teardown but that simply generates a basket full of good parts he can't use (or sell). - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
            Experienced
            • May 2 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
            He doesn't know what he needs until the trans is on the bench and disassembled. He is trying to cover all his bases before the teardown but that simply generates a basket full of good parts he can't use (or sell). - Dave
            It most probably will be the best to tear down the transmission first and see what needs to be replaced. There is most probably some bearing with a problem, since it makes a strange noise in first gear only.
            sigpicFrank

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

If this is your first automatic trans teardown, you need a few things:
              • Take lots of pictures as you go.
              • Have an experienced transmission guy help you.
              • Specialty tools are required but they can be home-made (even if you never use them again).
              • I use Loctite Blue on screws, petroleum jelly to keep needle bearings together and Permatex Black to seal pan gaskets.
              • Above all, keep everything clean and in order.

Here's an example of some disassembly tools:

Good luck. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
                Experienced
                • May 2 2016

Thanks Dave. I did rebuild my jeeps 5-45RFE transmission a few years ago. Indeed had to make some special tools to be able to compress piston springs and remove their snap rings. Very interresting job and after that i finally had an idea how automatic transmissions work.
                Working clean is indeed one of the most important things to do to have a long lasting transmission.
                sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
                  Experienced
                  • May 2 2016

Transmission rebuild

So slowly the parts to start my transmission rebuild are coming in. No idea yet what I will find inside, but the master kit is there and two used bands (looking at the pictures in very good state) will be arriving soon as well.
                  On e-bay a guy was selling quite some loose parts for the midsize case and for a very reasonable price. Since parts here in Brazil do not exist and will become more difficult to find over time in other places, I just bought a pressure regulator for 20 bucks, a valve body for 30 and both bands, the complete governor and all related tubes and connections for 75.
                  Now I will need to find time to do this job.
                  And yes, I will take lots of pictures
                  sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
                    Experienced
                    • May 2 2016

Just started the transmission tear down last week. Unfortunately i have very little time to work on it, so it will take a long time to finish this project. Taking pictures as many as possible, but cleaning the hands every time is a bit of a fuzz.
                    So far the only strange thing i encountered was a missing screw on the rear pump housing (the one more to the middle). No idea if it was forgotten during a previous job done on it, or that it came out during operation. No traces (nor damages) found so far, but the internal rotating parts are still in.
                    Will be continued.
                    sigpicFrank

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

...Taking pictures as many as possible, but cleaning the hands every time is a bit of a fuzz...
                      Taking pictures makes the job take TWICE as long. That's why most restorations have NO pictures.

Most of this work is done on a bench so maybe you can set your camera on a tripod, and press the button. Or, put a plastic bag around the camera with a hole for the lens. Better yet, have someone else take the pictures.

Pictures will help you later, when you re-assemble or if you want to 'look back' on your work. Take HUNDREDS of pictures at all different angles. You can always throw out bad or useless pictures but you cannot create them after the job is done. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
                        Experienced
                        • May 2 2016

I had some time today to disassemble the transmission and already found some problems. The primary sungear shaft came out with one of the seal rings cut in half. Later on i found the other half. I will have to check it better, but it seems that this is the fluid supply to the front clutch. Checked both the front and rear clutch packs. The rear one looks fine, but from the front one, one side of the discs are completely worn, while the other side still has friction material on it. I presume that the broken seal ring has to do with this. The rebuild kit has all new seal rings, so that should be ok.
                        sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
                          Experienced
                          • May 2 2016

Anyone knows were they sell the transmission bushings for a middle case MX? I saw on e-bay a set for the large case.
                          sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
                            Experienced
                            • May 2 2016

As Bill Petska had indicated, Fatsco has a lot of parts for our Cruise-o-Matics. Just ordered a bushing kit and some other small hardware from them.
                            sigpicFrank

Comment

• OX1
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Feb 10 2016

I'd like to see the pics when you have time.
                              Mine works fine, except a clunk going into drive,
                              but it leaks all over and someday I figure to
                              rebuild it..............
                              59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍