X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frank58
    Super-Experienced
    • May 28 2006

Are all Body Parts Created Equal?

I'm ready to buy patch panels for my '58 so I have been shopping around checking prices. I'm seeing some large differences in prices........such as:
    lower front fender patch panel.
    Pat Wilson..... $80.00
    Mac's............$100.00
    Bird Nest........$165.00
    That's a pretty large spread. Can these all be the same? I want to buy quality parts but the general belief has been there is only 1 manufacturer supplying all the tbird part houses. can an $80 panel be the same as a $165 panel?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I haven't seen any patch panels that are worth what the vendors are asking regardless of price. The quarter panels are particularly poorly made especially around the wheel openings. Don't be fooled by thinking that because they are more money they are made better. The ones I've seen are all made by the same company. All the detail lines are rounded rather than sharp like the factory. The corners are folded over rather than formed. Fitting fender skirts to the repro quarters are a nightmare. $80 for the front fender patch panels is way too much when you see how they are made. That being said unless you have sheet metal skills you are at their mercy. Buyer beware.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• yellow98cobra
      Experienced
      • May 28 2012

Well with what John says the less you spend the better...
      Rock Auto has them for a little less plus there is 5% off code 101464485567426

SHERMAN Part # CCC39536L
      Left Hand FENDER LOWER Rear SECTION

$71.79
      Yellow98Cobra
      1960 Thunderbird HT
      Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
      There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
      http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• frank58
        Super-Experienced
        • May 28 2006

Thanks Eric, Rock Auto has best prices for all sheet metal for sure.
        John, my sheet metal skills are at best "fair" so starting from scratch ain't happening. however I'm sure I can sharpen up the detail lines if need be. Did you have to?
        Has anyone else bought/used any of the patch panels?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The only place I sharpened was around the rear bumper. The factory line was real sharp. The rocker panel is not nearly as sharp as the original factory one but it's under the door and not that noticeable.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• KULTULZ

You Want Quality-

Wolf Steel is now providing rust repair and restoration panels for more and more models. What was once reserved for Alfa Romeos, has now been expanded to include, Volvos, Fiats, Jaguars, Saabs, Toyotas, Fords, and a host of others. If we don't have a body panel you need, chances are we can get it. This is your source for hard to find or vintage Steel panels. Come and see what we mean.

Comment

• frank58
              Super-Experienced
              • May 28 2006

Originally posted by KULTULZ
              custom panels are the only solution for many makes and models of classic cars
              nice to see places like this are around.From what I can see their work looks quite good. Guess we are lucky to have "off the shelf" patches available at all even if they need a little help.

Comment

• frank58
                Super-Experienced
                • May 28 2006

In case anyone is interested, I found a dealer on ebay that has a small supply of sheet metal for our birds. Not the typical stuff. These panels were made by Schott metal products in Ohio many years ago. I bought 1 of everything and I am very pleased, heavy gauge steel and the lines are great... in addition to the patch panels everyone else sells they also had the front parts of the front fenders.
                Muscle Car and Vintage Car / Truck / Hot Rod Parts From 1909 - Present. We also custom manufacture a wide range of hard to find items. If you don't see what you need please ask as we have much more product to offer. If you have a large project we will gladly quote a package deal to give you best value. Vintage car parts made with the Quality you expect from the Golden Ages of American Manufacturing. There’s nothing like that feeling you get when you rebuild a vintage car and drive the open roads. American Muscle Car’s Vintage Parts Club is the only stop you need for all your classic car and truck parts. We refuse to compromise on quality, so you can be sure that every part we sell is made to last. We carry only the best vintage auto parts – made with the same care and craftsmanship as when these vehicles were first built. With American Muscle Car’s Vintage Parts Club, it’s easy to get your ride looking and running its best.

looks like I bought the last front fender panels. but this guy has 1

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎