Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Carter
    • Apr 9 2015

Coil Sring Compressor

I need to do some work on the front end of my 66 Thunderbird. This involves compressing the springs. From everything I have read, this is a very dangerous job and having the right tool is a MUST. The Ford part number for this tool is T63P-5310A. This is impossible to find. Any of today's Coil Spring Compressor I have looked at will not work. Looking for any suggestions. Thanks for your help.
  • JJbird
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2 2015

I used a heavy duty spring compressor that goes on the inside of the spring. After you get it compressed, you need to release/remove the upper control to get the spring out and back in.

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

I just used this compressor last week, it works very well, and is safe.

Order Otc Front Coil Spring Compressor, 7045B at Zoro.com. Great prices & free shipping on orders over $50 when you sign in or sign up for an account.

Set the car on jack stands at the front torque boxes. Remove the shocks. Use a jack on the lower control arm to compress the spring, but don't raise the car off the stands. Set the plates as far apart on the spring as you can, then use the tool to compress it. Lower the lower control arm to remove the spring.

Comment

• Tom Carter
        • Apr 9 2015

Did you use this on a 66 Thunderbird? The diameter of the spring coil is 3/4". The outside diameter of the spring is 6" and the length on the car is 20". I guess I am just checking to make sure this tool can handle the pressure. Do these dimensions sound like yours?

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Why on earth are you folks using a spring compressor? The Shop Manual says nothing about a spring compressor and the lower 'A' arms are so long, the spring falls out in your lap under NO pressure once it is lowered. Forget the spring compressor. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

We've covered this before. The spring is above the upper A arm.

John
            Attached Files
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Sorry John, I read it as a 56 T-bird. -
              Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Tom Carter
                Did you use this on a 66 Thunderbird? The diameter of the spring coil is 3/4". The outside diameter of the spring is 6" and the length on the car is 20". I guess I am just checking to make sure this tool can handle the pressure. Do these dimensions sound like yours?
                Mine is a '64, which is the same as your '66. Yes, our springs are HUGE. This tool handles it. The plates are cast steel, shaped to fit in the spring to center the rod. It even has a thrust bearing so the compression nut doesn't bind when you get near the bottom.

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

I believe the "shaft nut" on John's attachment is a super deep socket. The compressor that I used has a huge nut on the top, 1- 1/8 or so, and my longest deep socket and ratchet wrench could only turn it part of the way. The rest of the way was the slow and steady, with a big ol' open end.

Comment

• Tom Carter
                    • Apr 9 2015

Thank you so much. You have been very helpful. I am going to order the tool today. Thanks to everybody for your imput. It really helps to have this information. Looking forward to Spring.

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

Nice pun!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡