X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Bill:

It is an aftermarket accessory item from Advanced Auto Parts. http://www.partsamerica.com/

Here is the URL to the item that I used: http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...egoryCode=3147

If the URL doesn't work, here is the item number:
    Cruiser Accessories License Frame & Cover Kit: Part Number: 61310

You should be able to get them shipped.
    Last edited by bcomo; April 10, 2008, 07:58 AM.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Well, here is my understanding of the CA black plate saga.

The black plates in CA were issued from 1963 to 1969 and they will have the issued date on the right corner where people are supposed to put the current year tag sticker.

So some see having a black plate on the car as being proof of it's orginallity to CA etc. For other it is just cool to have what is also called YOM or year of manufacture plates on the car.

I wish I had a black plate on my 68 olds because it would be the correct period to have it orginal to the car. It is just well cool to have a period correct plate on the car.

Now if you see a 58 or 59 car with a black plate that would be incorrect, would mean the car was either brought into CA after 62 up to 69 or the registration had lasped after 62 and was reissued. A 58 or 60 in CA should actually have a yellow plate with black letters which were issued from 56 to 62. The interesting thing about the yellow plates, they all were stamped with 56 on them and then you have to get a tag that matched the year of your car, for example my 58 would need a 56 plate with a 58 year tag on it.

You also have to find a set of plates, CA dmw won't let you register a set, and that set of plates needs to be clear. By clear meaning that plates number isn't currently in the system on another car. In CA that can happen because CA did reuse numbers.

Hmm, wow, I just had a thought, the black plates on my 59 might work on my 68..... need to check that this weekend

Comment

• GTE427
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 9 2007

Rusty, thanks for all that information about California plates, nice to read historical information. Hope that works out for you transfering plates to your Olds.

I find it interesting that in some states, you're allowed to re-use old and out-of-date plates, can't do so in NJ as far as I know.

In NJ, we can choose to get Classic plates for cars older than 25 years, the advantage is the registration is good for 3 years and the cars do not require state inspection, they are considered self-inspected. I've been looking for 1959 NJ plates for my car as I thought it would be a nice touch for car shows. As I've seen from the various posts on this thread, these plates look great on the ol' squarebird.

Thanks for all the input from around the country and abroad.
        Ken
        1959 J Convertible
        1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by RustyNCa
          You also have to find a set of plates, CA dmw won't let you register a set, and that set of plates needs to be clear. By clear meaning that plates number isn't currently in the system on another car. In CA that can happen because CA did reuse numbers.

Opps, I just re read that... it should say CA dmv won't let you register a single plate, you need a matched set, I assume since it is CA law to have a front plate.

IE I got stopped by a CHP early one Sunday morning headed to work in my Camaro...he wrote me up for no front plate and tint. I told him I didn't have a front plate, he flipped, "Every car in CA has come with a front plate last 30 years" He wasn't amused when I told him, just bought mine from a dealer in LA and it never had a front plate. Well, $80 later in fees I have a full new set of plates and no tint

Comment

• Penelope
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 4 2008

Thank you Bart.....but beleive it or not they wont ship to us down under in Australia!!

Regards
            Bill
            sigpicBill
            Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• bcomo
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 23 2005

Bill:

Autobarn will ship to you, BUT I checked the shipping and it's $70. Geeeez !!!!

Bart
              1960 Hard Top/430
              Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• Penelope
                Super-Experienced
                • Mar 4 2008

Thanks for that Bart, my son and I are coming over to California next year for an American Iron guys odyssey trip so I will probably wait till then or see if I can get either Larrys T-Birds or Stefans T-Birds to organise one for me. I have certainly spent some money at their shops since buying my baby, and I have to say their service is first class.

Regards,
                Bill
                sigpicBill
                Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• fomoco59
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 10 2005

IE I got stopped by a CHP early one Sunday morning headed to work in my Camaro...he wrote me up for no front plate and tint. I told him I didn't have a front plate, he flipped, "Every car in CA has come with a front plate last 30 years" He wasn't amused when I told him, just bought mine from a dealer in LA and it never had a front plate. Well, $80 later in fees I have a full new set of plates and no tint
                  I got pulled over by a rookie town cop last summer because of my '59 plates. He insisted they were illegal until I filled HIM in on the NY DMV rules. He apologized ! Actually they are supposed to be for limited use only (parades, shows, etc) but he didn't know that.
                  sigpic
                  Mike Lemmon
                  '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• tarps3
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jul 21 2003

Rusty,

sounds like you have the same breed of Highway Patrolmen that exist here in Oklahoma.
                    Don't get me started...
                    It was probably at the end of the month and they had to make quota.

Forget about pulling over the yahoos on the car phones running everyone off the road...
                    Casey

Comment

• Hawkrod
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 31 2005

Well, here is my understanding of the CA black plate saga.

The black plates in CA were issued from 1963 to 1969 and they will have the issued date on the right corner where people are supposed to put the current year tag sticker.

So some see having a black plate on the car as being proof of it's orginallity to CA etc. For other it is just cool to have what is also called YOM or year of manufacture plates on the car.

I wish I had a black plate on my 68 olds because it would be the correct period to have it orginal to the car. It is just well cool to have a period correct plate on the car.

Now if you see a 58 or 59 car with a black plate that would be incorrect, would mean the car was either brought into CA after 62 up to 69 or the registration had lasped after 62 and was reissued. A 58 or 60 in CA should actually have a yellow plate with black letters which were issued from 56 to 62. The interesting thing about the yellow plates, they all were stamped with 56 on them and then you have to get a tag that matched the year of your car, for example my 58 would need a 56 plate with a 58 year tag on it.

Hmm, wow, I just had a thought, the black plates on my 59 might work on my 68..... need to check that this weekend

Sorry but you are just on the edge of correct a couple of things. First, all black plates issued from 63-70 (blue plates came out while black were still being issued so there is overlap) have 63 in the top corner, you got a sticker for each year after that. You can tell what year they were issued by the number sequence. Second, having a black plate on a 59 or 60 does not mean it was brought here then. In 63 when the new black plates came out and replaced the yellow plates, all cars got the new plates, The yellow plates were no longer valid. Third, black plates are not part of the YOM program. There is legislation to change that but currently YOM only applies to 1962 and older vehicles. And finally, you can't transfer black plates onto a car that did not come with that number originally. Hopefully the black plates will be included in the YOM program eventually but when that happens, having a black plate will no longer be a certificate of long term residence in California as it is now. Hawkrod

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎