X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orwin
    1960 Tbird
    • Jun 17 2008

Heater cable - help

I was fishing the heater control cable through the firewall and it touched the power window relay Burned off the end. This was a 38" long cable with loops on each end. I think it was part of the retrofit kit that provides the valve in the engine bay.

I don't need the whole kit (apparently 80$), just a 38" cable. None of the suppliers say how long they are, just part numbers.

Can anyone help? Sell me a used cable? Or link to a source?

I know this was dumb, should have had battery disconnected!

Thanks,

John
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Don't think I have one that long and it will be a week before I can get to my "stash" to check.

NAPA should have generic cables but you will have to bend the loops in the ends.

Here's one with straight ends that you would have to bend

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MGB-MGBGT-Premium-HEATER-Control-CABLE-39-for-76-80-new/152433367281?hash=item237dbc98f1:g:8qsAAOSwTuJYnzp0:rk:17f:0

(I just grabbed the end of the ones I bought with a good pair of needle nose pliers and made the loops. May need to heat the inner cable a bit).

I'll have to admit - - I've done that too !!!

Eric

Comment

• orwin
      1960 Tbird
      • Jun 17 2008

Hi Eric,

That was a good find. I wasn't too confident on bending the loops, but I did find this on eBay for $20 - 67-72 Chevy truck. Looks like a 100% match. I just need to take off the tabs on the ends. It should arrive Monday.

It seems that the part sold at the various Tbird suppliers is about 30" long, for the OEM control valve *inside* the heater box. Most of these valves are broken and apparently that valve is unobtainable. Most birds I have seen have the manual valve in the engine bay, which needs the longer cable.

Thanks,

John
      Attached Files
      John Orwin
      1960 HT 430
      VTCI #11290
      Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I was able to make the stock cable work by drilling a hole in the firewall so it was a straight shot to the valve.

John
        Attached Files
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎