X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

traction bars

Hey people, since installing my Detroit Locker I'm getting axle wrap. Can anyone recommend some Under ride traction bars? I found these but I'll have to measure to see what length bar I need.
    Also, can anyone tell me if the U-bolt pattern on most 9 inch axles are the same?

thx, Dave
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

Whoops! forgot the link.
    here they are
    OUR WORKS WE FIX AND REPAIR YOUR MUSTANG CARS AND EVEN REPAINT AND DELIVER THEM TO YOUR HOME OUR POSTS

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by davidmij
      Hey people, since installing my Detroit Locker I'm getting axle wrap. Can anyone recommend some Under ride traction bars? I found these but I'll have to measure to see what length bar I need.
      Also, can anyone tell me if the U-bolt pattern on most 9 inch axles are the same?

thx, Dave
      Most should be the same. If you just want longer u-bolts, just measure the width on the ubolt and go to a trailer supply house, alot of them carry ubolts in various lengths. That is where I have always gone to get new ones.

Have you changed the height of the suspension at all? You might also check your pinion angle, that could contribute to getting more wrap than you want. Are you wrapping up or down?

Comment

• davidmij
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 17 2011

I think the u-bolts I have will be OK Bryan. If I need longer ones I'll use a trailer place though, good idea.

I'm not sure about the height of the suspension. The tires are 28.5 inches and I added a leaf spring when I had the originals re-tensioned. I don't know if that factors in or not. The back sits nice and level.

I made some modifications to add a 4 speed toploader. To get the correct pinion angle (and transmission angle) I modified the transmission mount height just a little.

What is "wrapping up or wrapping down"? I looked online for it but didn't find anything.

thx, Dave

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

I think the u-bolts I have will be OK Bryan. If I need longer ones I'll use a trailer place though, good idea.

I'm not sure about the height of the suspension. The tires are 28.5 inches and I added a leaf spring when I had the originals re-tensioned. I don't know if that factors in or not. The back sits nice and level.

I made some modifications to add a 4 speed toploader. To get the correct pinion angle (and transmission angle) I modified the transmission mount height just a little.

What is "wrapping up or wrapping down"? I looked online for it but didn't find anything.

thx, Dave
          Well, I was meaning if your pinion angle is off, it can cause the axle to wrap, or twist up or down which can cause/contribute to the wheel hop.

Maybe calling it axle wrap is a local thing?

If your axle is twisting down, the ladder bars won't help much, I pretty sure they are to help stop the axle from wrapping up.

Cheers
          RustyNCA

Comment

• davidmij
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 17 2011

So do you think some standard traction bars might work better on the back then?

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

So do you think some standard traction bars might work better on the back then?
              Well, I didn't look really close at what you posted, those look alot like subframe connectors. I assume what you do is connect the four bolt plate to the axle and the front gets welded onto the subframe? Are the 67-70 Mustangs leaf or coil in the rear?

That would definitely help with wheel hop and the axle rotating on the spring flex. Standard traction bars would be easier to mount up but would do less than those I imagine.

Being that those are setup for a Mustang, you sure they will hit in the right spot on a tbird?

Comment

• davidmij
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 17 2011

Yes, you're correct about installing them. But they won't fit the T-bird. The 4 holes aren't on the same centers.

I think for now I'll use some standard bolt on traction bars. Eventually I can always go to the Caltrac brand. They're suppose to be really good.

thx again.

Comment

• ayrwoof
                  Experienced
                  • Apr 4 2005

4 on the tree

thx, Dave[/QUOTE]

Their was a 4 Speed on the tree set up From ford , on the econoline vans
                  (for bell telephone ) 1966-1969 seen several ,just pull up extra hard for reverse.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎