X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Zmax

Over the last several months and with the advertsing on the SPEED channel our group has been talking about the additive Zmax.Has anyone used Zmax extensively in their bird and can they let us all know whether they actually see a difference in fuel mileage AND smoother running of the engine A couple of guys up here swear by it but I am unsure of the affect on these FE 352'S.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )
  • Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

I take it from the lack of posts to my original thread that Zmax is not being used by anyone extensively in our birds. I will go online to see what the additives really are in this product.

Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Zmax

Hi Dan,

As I recall, Bart bcomo is using Zmax in his '60 Tbird. Zmax provides the additional zinc that was taken out of most oil products some years ago for environmental reasons. It is my understanding that our FE engines require that percentage of zinc to cut down on engine wear. Most oils no longer have it and Zmax provides it. I am sure there are other members who are using it. I do not know if it improves mileage and smoother running of the engine. Those who do use it, should be able to comment on it. I use 20W-50, which, to my understanding, still has enough zinc in it to meet the needs of our engines.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Bart are you using Zmax currently on your 60?? If so what results are you seeing and is this product worth considering?? Like I mentioned earlier, a couple of my buddies up here ( Musatng owners ) swear by it.

Dano Calgary,Calgary Alberta
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• bcomo
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 23 2005

Dan:

I don't use Zmax. I use ZDDP Plus wich is a Zinc additive for the oil. It coats the bearings, so there is no way to see any results of the benefits other than minimizing bearing wear.

Bart

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
          Bart are you using Zmax currently on your 60?? If so what results are you seeing and is this product worth considering?? Like I mentioned earlier, a couple of my buddies up here ( Musatng owners ) swear by it.

Dano Calgary,Calgary Alberta
          Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430
          Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Bart thanks for the brand name and I think I will give it a try. The 60HT should be okay, as we took off the valve covers to have them chromed and cleaned all the valve channels of the sludge and crud when they were off. It was pretty chunky in there but all seemed to be good once we changed the oil etc. I think I will use it in the 58HT and see.

Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡