Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

He said it will take him three hours to blast off and I don't doubt it. I told him to grind it off if he had to, leave the rim as is and paint the center black. If it were me I'd try a dremel with a rough grinding disk, remove the bulges, then lightly sand blast so paint will adhere.

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

Here it is after grinding and painting.

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

He disassembled the brand new water pump and powder coated it.

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

This was all me. I'm such a proud parent.

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

The old seal on the distributor, which was apparently sort of a square section O-ring, was brittle and fell apart. I've been in no hurry so have been casually looking locally (Home Depot, Ace, Advance) for O rings and haven't found anything close. So today I looked online and found this site that takes small orders and doesn't rip you off with postage.

The site is oringsandmore.com.

There is a table of standard sizes by ID and OD and I ordered size 325 O-ring for the distributor along with the same size "Quad Ring" which looks more like the original part.

While I was on there I ordered a size 361 "back-up ring" which looks like it will seal my carburetor flange against the stock air cleaner housing. I have been looking for a round gasket to replace the original on my Autolite 4100 literally for decades and have never found one until now.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Rockauto.com sells the distributor O-ring for under a buck:
              FEL-PRO Part # 13069

They have the carb gasket for $1.50:
              FEL-PRO Part # 60032

These parts are usually found in gasket sets.

- Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Dang Dave why do you have to tell me now?

I've never seen that carb gasket in any kit, and I've rebuilt 2100s and 4100's at least a dozen times. I gave up looking long ago and just made them.

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

I just finished rebuilding one vent window, the passenger side. I has a stripped gear, but the previous owner had found a window from a newer car that I was able to steal a part from.

These rivets are a PITA.

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

I just found these on ebay and bought them. Reproductions that I bought earlier were not up-to-snuff and I returned them.

What's y'all opinions about clear coating them after I clean and polish them?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Birds ...

I think I would just wax them every year or so. If the clear chips and or starts to peel it would be a pain to do it over. Plus I think they would look better. Mike

Comment

• Yadkin
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11 2012

Very true. I've been clear-coating other aluminum objects, like exterior trim, but those are relatively easy to strip the coating off should I need to. I've sprayed the back of lettering with plastidip to act as sort of a gasket.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Yadkin,

You definitely want the FEL-PRO dist seal.

With the roller cam, you also want that COMP CAMS composite distributor driven gear (on distributor shaft).

-COMPOSITE DIST GEAR TECH ARTICLE- CLICK HERE-

-HV OIL PUMPS; ADVANTAGES, MYTHS AND FABLES- CLICK HERE-

COMP Cams composite distributor gears are manufactured from Carbon Ultra-Poly composite to ensure superior strength and less wear. They are the latest in high-tech distributor gears designed around solving the wear issues associated with bronze gears in racing applications. The polymer gears are ideal for street roller applications--they feature virtually no wear, and they eliminate the problem of spark scatter that's associated with worn bronze gears. The gears have undergone stringent testing in various applications with positive results. Why put up with the hassle of changing bronze gear after bronze gear, when you can switch to composite for extended gear life?

SOURCE
                          - SUMMIT CATALOG

Hardened Oil Pump Drive-

In addition to the air cleaner base gasket is another gasket/seal (C4AZ 9673-A) used between the air cleaner lid and body.

Maybe this is why the filter element was too tall.

I will send Ray the ILL.

Here it is.... Click Ctrl + to enlarge. Ray

Last edited by Guest; April 19, 2013, 04:55 PM. Reason: ADD INFO

Comment

• Yadkin
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by KULTULZ

In addition to the air cleaner base gasket is another gasket/seal (C4AZ 9673-A) used between the air cleaner lid and body.

I will send Ray the ILL.

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/1964%2...aner%20Asm.jpg
                            Mine isn't the same as either of those. The bottom one is closer, but the top is smaller than the OD of the unit. It seals against the rubber of the filter itself.

Comment

• Yadkin
                              Banned
                              • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                              Yadkin,

You definitely want the FEL-PRO dist seal.

With the roller cam, you also want that COMP CAMS composite distributor driven gear (on distributor shaft).

-COMPOSITE DIST GEAR TECH ARTICLE- CLICK HERE-

-HV OIL PUMPS; ADVANTAGES, MYTHS AND FABLES- CLICK HERE-

SOURCE
                              - SUMMIT CATALOG

Hardened Oil Pump Drive-

I will send Ray the ILL.

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/1964%2...aner%20Asm.jpg
                              Yeah I'll probably go ahead and order that distributor seal.

The bronze gear is installed, and the shaft I bought I've show to my builder and he doesn't have a problem with it.

My air cleaner isn't the same as either of those. The bottom one is closer, but the top is smaller than the OD of the unit. It seals against the rubber of the filter itself.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Yadkin

The bronze gear is installed, and the shaft I bought I've show to my builder and he doesn't have a problem with it.
                                What did the builder say about the driven gear?

A brass gear is meant for a competition engine only as it is sacrificial and will breakdown spreading brass particles within the engine.

A roller cam billet is harder than a flat tappet billet. That is why the gear selected is crucial. The roller cam will eat a regular dist gear.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎