Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Detent Plates for 1958-1960 Thunderbirds available.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Yes, the Detent plates are available. You can order from the HOME page, using PayPal or pay by check. All the Detent Plates we have are orderable from the HOME page. Something else to check out is the tranny shift right at the bottom of the steering wheel in the engine bay. That piece, after 50+ years gets worn, causing shifting problems. There is a rod that comes off it and goes to the tranny to shift. It is available for replacement. Here is what it looks like. It is called the Shift Tube Selector Arm and you can see how badly mine was worn. Also check the Neutral Switch on the bottom of the steering wheel where it meets that lower dash panel.

Thanks for letting me know I forgot to post the picture! Here are a couple more showing a new one that is not worn like my old one was, and the steering wheel shaft with the Shift Tube Selector Arm at the bottom of it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; March 4, 2013, 07:26 PM. Reason: Additional info and picture

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
      Experienced
      • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by YellowRose
      Yes, the Detent plates are available. You can order from the HOME page, using PayPal or pay by check. All the Detent Plates we have are orderable from the HOME page. Something else to check out is the tranny shift right at the bottom of the steering wheel in the engine bay. That piece, after 50+ years gets worn, causing shifting problems. There is a rod that comes off it and goes to the tranny to shift. It is available for replacement. Here is what it looks like. It is called the Shift Tube Selector Arm and you can see how badly mine was worn. Also check the Neutral Switch on the bottom of the steering wheel where it meets that lower dash panel.
      Hi Ray, your post is missing the picture. I'm interested to know what this looks like also as I too have sloppy shifting.
      VTCI# 11860
      58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
        Experienced
        • Feb 6 2012

Thanks, Ray!

I wonder if the shift selector tube is what I need in addition to the detent plate.

My biggest problem is that it's hard to find the gears. It's especially difficult finding park. I'll pull the gear selector all the way up and place it into the park detent, but it rarely goes in the first time. I feel the car roll and it'll make a grinding noise as if something isn't quite meshed in right.
        VTCI# 11860

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Here is what I have been told by others. This problem can be a combination of several problems that have developed over years of wear and tear on parts. One is the Detent Plate. Another is a worn tip on the end of the shift lever at the steering wheel. Another is a worn connection in the round cup/collar that the shift lever screws into. Another is adjusting the Neutral Switch. Another is a worn Shift Tube Selector Arm. Another is a worn or missing rubber (as I recall) bushing down where the rod that comes off the Shift Tube Selector Arm and runs to the drivers side (as I recall) of the tranny, which attaches to the tranny and shifts it into the PRNDL positions.

In addition to the above, it could also be a worn, shot of missing rubber bushings down at the tranny or a worn parking pawl inside the tranny. Or it could be the shift linkage needing an adjustment.

Frank, one of our Down Under members, has had many years of experience working on the COM tranny and this problem. He swears that often it is a worn Shift Tube Selector Arm that is the culprit here. But it could also be the other areas too.

I hope this helps. Others might be able to amplify on this too.
          Last edited by YellowRose; September 25, 2013, 10:15 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
            Experienced
            • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by YellowRose
            Here is what I have been told by others. This problem can be a combination of several problems that have developed over years of wear and tear on parts. One is the Detent Plate. Another is a worn tip on the end of the shift lever at the steering wheel. Another is a worn connection in the round cup/collar that the shift lever screws into. Another is adjusting the Neutral Switch. Another is a worn Shift Tube Selector Arm. Another is a worn or missing rubber (as I recall) bushing down where the rod that comes off the Shift Tube Selector Arm and runs to the drivers side (as I recall) of the tranny, which attaches to the tranny and shifts it into the PRNDL positions.

Frank, one of our Down Under members, has had many years of experience working on the COM tranny and this problem. He swears that often it is a worn Shift Tube Selector Arm that is the culprit here. But it could also be the other areas too.

I hope this helps. Others might be able to amplify on this too.
            Thank you, Ray. This is definitely a big help. Sometimes I even have trouble starting the car. I have to hold the shift lever up to engage the neutral safety switch. This'll be one of those little projects that I need to do this year.
            VTCI# 11860

Comment

• Buckaroo
              Experienced
              • Jul 24 2013

Shift Tube Selector Arm

I have replaced the detent plate and it goes and stays in park. However, when I move it to other gears they are way off the indicator. I assume now it is the shift tube selector arm. How difficult is it to replace it? I assume the entire steering column must come out. I am pretty good at most mechanical things on a car but do not want to get in over my head.
              Dena & Dennis Gorder
              1958 Coupe
              Registry # 3422

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Before tearing apart the steering column try adjusting the manual shift linkage first. Also did you try readjusting the indicator plate. There are slots where the screws go so you can move it if the pointer doesn't line up with the letters.

John
                Last edited by jopizz; September 25, 2013, 10:36 PM.
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Buckaroo
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 24 2013

I am replacing the shift lever in my 58 tbird. I am wondering if I need a new shift collar. Should the hole in the shift collar where the roll pin goes be perfectly round or should it be oblong front to back. The shift lever did not have any rubber bushing left at the end and the "notches" are smaller than the new one. I have already replaced the detent plate.
                  Dena & Dennis Gorder
                  1958 Coupe
                  Registry # 3422

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The hole should be round. If it's oblong it's worn.

John
                    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Buckaroo
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 24 2013

That is what I was afraid of. The hole is probably 3 times longer than it is wide. A new one will be ordered today.
                      Dena & Dennis Gorder
                      1958 Coupe
                      Registry # 3422

Comment

• Stevenlesser
                        • May 18 2015

Detention plate

Hi I have in addition to the 60 t bird a 66 mercury park lane that has the same shifting problem ,I just bought the plate for the t bird ,since the merc is a ford would one of the plates fit this car too?
                        Also any suggestion on 60 rocker panels purse for rusty replacement project?

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Steve, I do not know of a detent plate for a Mercury. We don't have one for the '64-'66 Tbirds available. The only thing I can suggest is to see if you can find a '60's Mercury Forum like this and ask them about Detent plate availability for that year range and see what they tell you. Here is a link that might help you because I just found some places that sell Mercury parts. Try Rock Auto also, because they give us a 5% discount since they are also a member of our Forum. Let me know if you find anything.

You might try this Forum.
                          http://forums.aaca.org/forum/37-ford...954-and-newer/

http://www.mercurystuff.com/links/vendors.html
                          Last edited by YellowRose; January 10, 2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• mh434
                            Comfortably numb
                            • Jan 10 2017

I can see the last post on this subject was a while ago, but are there any plates remaining ? if so, could you confirm cost to ship to the UK. Looks like mine needs doing, the previous owner had to chase it round his yard when he left it idling.!! looks like the shift lever has been replaced in an attempt to cure it.

Jon
                            Jon
                            Deepest Hertfordshire
                            Old enough to know I'm right...
                            1960 Hardtop T'bird
                            1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Jon, yes, the Detent Plate is still available. I can't tell you how much it will cost to ship one to you, but Marianne should be able to, as she has probably shipped these to your country before. I can tell you that they do not weigh very much. She handles our detent orders and can be contacted at: My59Tbird"at"gmail.com (replace the "at" with the @ symbol. When you order, you can do so from the Home page to her.

If you have not done so, look through the various posts on this subject, especially #64 and #61. There are other reasons, than the detent plate that can cause this problem and they are detailed there. It all goes back to having worn parts in the car that have never been replaced in the nearly 60 years life of the car. Even if you fix that problem, I always make it a point that when I park the car, I pull the emergency brake on because I do NOT want any unexpected problems with the car dropping out of Park and chasing it around the yard, as you said.. It is just something I do to make darned sure it does not take off on me.

Comment

• mh434
                                Comfortably numb
                                • Jan 10 2017

Good man, thanks Ray
                                Jon
                                Deepest Hertfordshire
                                Old enough to know I'm right...
                                1960 Hardtop T'bird
                                1961 Hotchkiss M201