X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveSouthampton
    Apprentice
    • Nov 19 2013

Front license plate bracket

I need to fit one of these as in the UK we have to have a front number (license) plate.

I've found the bracket on a couple of websites

http://www.classiquecars.com/58tblicplatebracket.jpg

I believe its part number 17736.

What I can't see is how it fits to the bumper, particularly the top hole.

Also, would I be right in saying that once its mounted you still get a plate holder and put the plate in that ?

Thanks for your help guys
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are two holes under the bumper where it bolts to. The hole at the top is for a rubber bumper not a bolt. You can use a plate holder if you want or you can just mount the plate without one. Here's a picture of the rubber bumper. You would think they would include it with a new plate bracket.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Use the holes John described, but I suggest you make your own bracket. American brackets are not designed to GB license plate dimensions. In fact, ours do a good job of blocking air flow into the radiator because they stick up too high.

OEM brackets are nothing to write home about. They do the job but that's about it. Some states still use front plates (like NY and so does Canada), but others (like Michigan) do not. Consequently, you may find a front bracket relatively cheap from states where we don't use them.

Our dealerships install these brackets, not the factory. Some folks get very upset when 'extra holes' are drilled into their new car for superfluous items like dealership badges. Squarebird license plate holes are already in the bottom of the bumper but new car fascia's have little dimples where the holes are to be drilled, if used. - Dave Dare
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DaveSouthampton
        Apprentice
        • Nov 19 2013

Thanks for that John,

Would it point inwards towards the car or outwards ?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The rubber bumper points outward to cushion the license plate.

John

Comment

• DaveSouthampton
            Apprentice
            • Nov 19 2013

so between the back of the plate and the front of the bracket ?

We can use US style plates apparently, as long as the letters are of a certain size etc.

I am waiting for the registration to be completed then I can start enjoying her .... really can't wait.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by DaveSouthampton
              so between the back of the plate and the front of the bracket ?

We can use US style plates apparently, as long as the letters are of a certain size etc.

I am waiting for the registration to be completed then I can start enjoying her .... really can't wait.
              Yes, it goes in between the license plate and the front of the bracket.

John

Comment

• DaveSouthampton
                Apprentice
                • Nov 19 2013

Thank you John

Comment

• DaveSouthampton
                  Apprentice
                  • Nov 19 2013

Well I finally got the car today and guess what I found in the trunk ... a plastic bag with an old front plate bracket in.

Just need to get the rubber bit now so that should save on shipping and especially customs duty into the UK, which is a nightmare

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if that frame sat in the trunk since it left the factory.

Take a picture of your new plate setup. I would like to see how you get all those numbers on a small plate.

BTW, who makes your license plates? Is it the government, or do they simply generate the number?

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DaveSouthampton
                      Apprentice
                      • Nov 19 2013

The DVLA ( Driver & Vehicle Licensing Authority I think ) holds the records for all vehicles and drivers in the UK. I guess the equivalent of your DMV ?

When you import a vehicle you have to get it registered with them to obtain a UK registration. To do this you have to insure the vehicle and get an MOT ( roadworthy ) test, although pre 1960 cars no longer need an MOT test.

As far as I know i should get an age appropriate number which should be 3 letters and three numbers. This is the same format as the number which the car had in california which was 352 TUY, and that fitted the plate fine. There is apparently a website called statesplates or something similar where you can get US style plates made.2

Although there are regulations as to the size / shape of licence plates and the text fonts etc. there are exemptions where a standard UK plate wouldnt fit etc. Also the police are apparently quite lenient with classic vehicles. I would hope they'd never seen a squarebird before and would be far to interested in the car to worry about the plates

It is torture having the car and not being able to take it out on the road hehe.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Each state has their own plate (with their own colors). Our plate numbers usually change every year unless the owner chooses to renew the old number. Our plates are only good for one year and are NOT transferable between owners. In other words, the plate belongs to the owner, showing he registered his car.

In the 50's and 60's, folks used to remove their old plate and nail it to their garage wall (or throw it in the trash).

When a car is sold, the plate is always removed but the plate's owner may apply it to another car he owns (like if he trades his old for a new car). If he doesn't transfer, the plate simply expires on his next birthday.

Every car swap meet I have ever attended always had someone there selling old license plates (spanning many years) for a few dollars each. If you ask 100 people here, what number was on the first plate of their ten year old car, none of them would know because it simply doesn't matter.

In Michigan, we can use any plate from the year our classic car was made. We call that a 'period plate'. Again, all those original records were destroyed long ago, so nobody knows (or cares) what car the old plate came off of. It simply needs to be in good shape. If not, some restorers repaint them to the original colors. Obviously, approval will not be granted for a number that is currently registered.

I don't personally don't know anyone who had a plate custom made to look like a period plate because there are so many out there and they are inexpensive.

Our state offers 'personalized' annual plates for a fee. We submit a suggested (tastefully done) number with remittance and they either process it or reject the submission. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                          Banned
                          • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                          In Michigan, we can use any plate from the year our classic car was made. We call that a 'period plate'.
                          Guys at the shop were talking about this the other day, and I thought they were nuts. But here is the text of the NC statute:

"Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person."

Comment

• Yadkin
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11 2012

I wonder if this will pass.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Dec 23 2008

Works for me

Most states have some provision for year of manufacture (the term in Ohio). Here is the plate on my 63 Sport Roadster.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎