Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wisconsinjimmy
    • Apr 16 2024

Steering sector

Anyone out there have any expertise on rebuilding the gear box? I took my box out to put in new seals which I did, I then made a jig so I can mount the pump and an electric motor on, I then hooked up the gear box and for reasons I do not understand the gear box will turn to the max left and stop the motor and pump. I followed the service manual to the T and I cannot figure this out if I have to I will dissasemble the unit in hops of getting to the problem.

What year ???

If this is a 58-60 the steering gear is manual used in conjunction with power control valve and cylinder. As long an there is no play in the shaft and it rotates through it's full range it should be fine and the problem is most likely in the control valve. If it is a later power gear that has the pump lines attached to the gear (assuming it is from your description) your best bet is to get a rebuilt unit or take it to a pro. Mike

Comment

• wisconsinjimmy

1962 early. I will get it figured out just a matter of time and I am not ready to put in the engine, I really do not like paying $300+ for someone else to install seals and that is all I did. The problem lies in the spool as I cannot see the lands and I have another gear box from a 63 to compare with. What happens in Vo Tech is you will do one hour on a gear box and never see one again.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎