Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

I've had pumps make noise and in my case it seems to be the ones with the filter in the reservoir. I remove the filter and the noise goes away. I would guess that the pump is having some difficulty drawing fluid through the filter. Have not had a chance to try a new filter. Not all pumps have provisions for this filter, but if your reservoir has a filter you might try removing it and see if it affects things.
    CArl

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Okay, I hate behaving like a goof, but the belts are on the wrong pulley's. The seller had the A/C compressor replaced and I see clearly that it is on the middle pulley and the PS belt is on the outermost pulley. The "problem" is I never heard this before I replaced the control valve.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That probably explains why it was smoking. If that's all it takes to fix it I wouldn't be embarrassed in the least. With the Rube Goldberg configuration of the compressor, P/S pump, fan and generator it's a wonder it works at all.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

I am confused because my pulley system isn't like the one you posted. My A/C compressor has a small belt that connects to the upper pulley only. There's two belts on the generator which occupy the innermost two pulley groves on the crank and water pump. The only place the small PS belt can go is to the outside crank pulley only.

Back to square one.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That sounds like the 1959 A/C belt configuration. Is your '60 an early production model. I've seen it both ways. I would take Carl's suggestion and see if you have a filter. If not then I think you are back to a faulty control valve. If you didn't have the noise before changing it out that's my guess.

John

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

My car was assembled Jan 20, 1960. I speculated the filter might be an issue when the fluid drained out. Perhaps dirt settled into the filter when the reservoir emptied. I'll have to see if it has a filter. Does the reservoir top lift off?

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There's either a long bolt that you have to remove or there's a wing nut. Either way the top should come off. Of course having the compressor in the way doesn't help. You'll probably have to remove the belt and push it all the way down.

John

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's the diagram showing the pump with the filter.

John
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Tbird1044
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jul 31 2012

Something else I have tried in the past is turning the wheel full stop to stop and keeping a little pressure on the system for a very short duration when you are up against the stop. It sounds like you did this and I thought it helped, but now the noise seems to be back. Suggests you are still getting air into the system. One thing I found recommended, is to raise the front of the car and get the weight off of the front tires and then do the full stop to stop turning several times. I've done this several times with various cars and have had good success. May be worth a try as it is a simple one.
                    Nyles

Comment

• Deanj
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Nov 26 2015

Checked the reservoir and yes we have no filter. The fluid was very dirty and so I added clean fluid to the tank I turkey basted out. I purged the air again by turning the wheels back and forth. The sawing zzzzzzzz noise remains, but I noticed it disappears when turning the wheel and keeping some tension on the system. Otherwise the position of the steering doesn't matter. The steering assist seems fine except for the noise. I really hate to remove and return a good control valve if it isn't bad. Am I in denial?

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would check and make sure that both rubber hoses, the pressure hose and the return hose don't have any kinks in them. If they are fine then drive the car if you can. See if the steering is good and if the noise goes away when the fluid gets hot.

John

Comment

• Deanj
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Nov 26 2015

Thanks John and everyone else who's trying so hard to help me. I'll check the lines tomorrow. It might be the only option left. I don't think I should just live with this issue.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jul 31 2012

Did you take the weight off of the front tires when you turned the steering wheel side to side. I have no idea why this would make that much of a difference, but it seems to work. I've tried turning the wheels without raising the car with NO success, but when I took the load off of the system by raising the front wheels, it actually worked. See Below:
                            How to Bleed
                            Step 1
                            Do not start the engine until the system is fully bled. Doing so may cause damage to the
                            power steering components. Pump internals are metal on metal. Any air in the system can
                            cause metal to metal contact and damage.
                            Step 2
                            Raise the front wheels off the ground, or remove the pitman arm or tie rod.
                            Step 3
                            Turn steering wheel
                            fully to the left.
                            Step 4
                            Fill fluid reservoir to “full cold” level. Leave cap off.
                            Step 5
                            Whith an assistant checking the fluid level and
                            condition, turn the steering wheel slowly and
                            smoothly lock to lock until fluid level drops in
                            pump reservoir. If fluid level has not dropped,
                            no fluid has moved through the system. This normally indicates a large bubble in the
                            reservoir or pump. Until this
                            bubble passes, no fluid will
                            circulate through the system.
                            — On systems with coolers, winches, or Rock Ram
                            assist you may need
                            to cycle in excess
                            of 40 times.
                            — Do not turn the steering wheel fast as this
                            will cause the fluid to overflow the reservoir.
                            Trapped air may cause fluid to overflow. Thor
                            oughly clean any spille
                            d fluid to allow for
                            leak check.
                            Step 6
                            Check fluid constantly to ensure proper level and that no bubbles exist.
                            — If you see any signs of bubb
                            les, recheck all connections then repeat the steps above.
                            — Fluid level should be steady (R
                            ock Ram’s level will vary slightly).
                            Step 7
                            Disable engine from starting. (
                            Non Hydro Boost Brake Systems
                            )
                            — Crank engine several revolutions. If fluid leve
                            l drops, there is compressed air trapped in
                            the system. Repeat above steps until fluid level is stable.
                            — If fluid foams while cranking, wait 10 minute
                            s or more until dispersed air has time to
                            accumulate and purge through the reservoir.
                            Step 8
                            Continue above steps until fluid level remains constant and no air bubbles are visible

Nyles

Comment

• Deanj
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Nov 26 2015

I raised the front wheels and turned stop to stop 6 times each way. No change. No pinched lines. Loud buzzing noise from pump goes on, but disappears while turning wheels.

I might add no one, the manual included, said bleed system before starting and turning wheels was so important. I'm betting I may have damaged the pump since the noise is strongest there.

It's been suggested here that I drive it until something fails, except I dislike driving my cars with any embarrassing noises.

Comment

• jopizz
                                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've been working on cars for over 40 years and I've always bled power steering the same way. With the engine running and the wheels on the ground and I've never caused any damage doing it that way. No offense to what Nyles posted but if that is the correct way then the manual would have you do it. You didn't do any damage to the pump by doing it the way you did it.

John

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎