Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

So far, so good. We haven't had any really hot days so far but the engine temp has stayed where it should be. One of the side effects I hadn't expected from the flex fan was the moan - it is quite noticeable at above 2000 rpm or 60 mph. Probably more so for me as I have the convertible top down as much as possible.
    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rebuilt 430 Runs Hot

Hey Howard! If ya wanna give your engine and cooling system a good test, come visit me! I can easily provide you with temperatures running in the high 90's to low 100's! We were at or pushing 100 again today. We are running 8-10 degrees above normal and have been for several weeks.

As for the moaning you have heard from the flex fan, when running at 60mph or higher, I also hear it! But it is not my flex fan that I hear moaning! It is my wallet, as the gas goes galloping through that engine at those speeds and higher! Seriously, though, I do not hear any moaning sounds from my flex fan and that might be because I am in a hardtop. If I had a convertible, I might hear it. I wonder if byersmtrco hears that when he is driving with his top down? He has, as I recall, a flex fan on his Tbird also. Does anyone else who has a flex fan hear any moaning from it? Or, like me, is it your wallet you hear moaning at those speeds and higher? And guys....Please don't go there as to what else might be causing the "moans" that Howard is hearing!....
      Last edited by YellowRose; June 6, 2011, 10:22 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Jimz Bird
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2011

Originally posted by YellowRose
        Hey Howard! If ya wanna give your engine and cooling system a good test, come visit me! I can easily provide you with temperatures running in the high 90's to low 100's! We were at or pushing 100 again today. We are running 8-10 degrees above normal and have been for several weeks.
        Gee, nice to have it so cool there Ray. 8:30 AM now and 91. Yesterday 111 - today only up to 109 and tomorrow 113, BUT, low humidity.

It will get REALLY HOT when Summer comes.
        Jim
        Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
        sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rebuilt 430 Runs Hot

Geeez, Jim! I didn't realize the East Coast area was getting those kind of high temperatures now! When I saw that post come through email, I figured you had to be in Arizona! Then I brought up the Forum and see that you are in Virginia! We all might be in for a real scorcher this year!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Jimz Bird
            Experienced
            • Feb 3 2011

Norfolk is home.

I am still playing in the desert just West of Baghdad.

Plan to be home sometime in December.
            Jim
            Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
            sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rebuilt 430 Runs Hot

No wonder it is so hot there! I forgot that you are in Iraq! I was about to call my younger brother who lives in Virginia to see how he was handling the heat! lol.. That comment about there not being much humidity should have reminded me that you are not presently at home. Thanks for jogging my memory cells! Stay safe, my friend and thank you for your service to our country! I am retired Air Force.

Comment

• Astrowing
                Experienced
                • Jul 22 2009

Howard,

Are you still happy with the flex fan and shroud on your 430 for cooling? By now you've been at least over 90F as it was that hot when I was up there in July.
                sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 30 2009

For what its worth, I've had good luck using Water Wetter coolant additive.
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Howard Prout
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by Astrowing
                    Howard,

Are you still happy with the flex fan and shroud on your 430 for cooling? By now you've been at least over 90F as it was that hot when I was up there in July.
                    So far, so good, and we have had some temps in the high 90s. BUT, I didn't do any short start and stop trips or have it idle for any length of time. My guess is that it will overheat under those conditions. After thinking about it a bit more, my guess is that the AC condenser is limiting the air flow through the radiator. I cleaned it very thoroughy when I had the rad out so I know the air passages are not plugged but the fins are spaced quite close together which cold be blocking the air flow to some extent.
                    Last edited by Howard Prout; August 2, 2011, 06:59 PM. Reason: addnl info
                    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎