X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by lawyercalif
    I was a professional mechanic in the 60's, and a backyard mechanic ever since. So I find it hard to understand how the power steering pump which has its own source of fluid can have any effect on the automatic transmission.
    Can someone explain this one to me?
    It's probably along the lines of how when the mean lady at the wife's job treats the wife poorly during the day, your evening of fun goes down the toliet.....

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

I was a professional mechanic in the 60's, and a backyard mechanic ever since. So I find it hard to understand how the power steering pump which has its own source of fluid can have any effect on the automatic transmission.
      Can someone explain this one to me?
      Tryed to explain it in post #6 & 10
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• lawyercalif
        Experienced
        • May 12 2011

I understand that you feel that it "acted as a brake for the engine" however if that were the case how could the engine run, or if running if it was stuck that hard the belt should have burnt up. Not doubting, just curious.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Anders

At least something to be happy about. But to be honest, Itīs fun to wrench also I learn something all the time
          Hey! We all learn something here everyday due to contributions such as yours...

Comment

• KULTULZ

I understand that you feel that it "acted as a brake for the engine" however if that were the case how could the engine run, or if running if it was stuck that hard the belt should have burnt up. Not doubting, just curious.
            Let me try.

He said the PS was dragging, later to find a mounting bolt had loosened wedging itself against the drive pulley. He did say smoke was present so that means the drive belt is toast.

I would imagine that with that engine load, vacuum readings would have gone asunder causing the modulator valve to receive a false signal, hence the erratic operation?

Comment

• lawyercalif
              Experienced
              • May 12 2011

Originally posted by KULTULZ
              Let me try.

He said the PS was dragging, later to find a mounting bolt had loosened wedging itself against the drive pulley. He did say smoke was present so that means the drive belt is toast.

I would imagine that with that engine load, vacuum readings would have gone asunder causing the modulator valve to receive a false signal, hence the erratic operation?
              Sorry I'm still confused. The Cruise o matic did not receive a vacuum modulator until 1961. Was there another type of modulator on the earlier Cruise o matic?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Anders
                ...When I came home and parked it in the garage I could here a ( just ) a little chirping. But it was very, very little and I thought it might be one of those noises that sometimes comes ( and goes ) when the engine is hot.

...the car started to squeel VERY loud. Iīm talking about VERY LOUD! It sounded like a pig in pain. So I braked and moved the gear selector around to see if anything would take away the squeel, but it still sounded as loud as before. The car didnīt want to go forward or reverse after that, hut still squeel all the time. I was now sure I would vake up the whole neigborhood, and I was worried about the transmission. ...I checked the level of transmission oil before I drove yesterday and it was the right level.
                Anders wrote this before he knew what was wrong. At this point the hood wasn't opened. I am surprised he discounted the warning sounds and automatically assumed his transmission was squealing very loudly. This is usually a common mistake for folks who don't wrench, or troubleshoot. They simply assume the worst.

Anders was clearly bothered by the terrible squealing and what the neighbors might think so he, "braked and moved the gear selector around to see if anything would take away the squeel".

The actual troubleshooting part of this problem proved to be simple, but who did it? I realize hindsight is 20/20, but if this were my car, I would be the first one looking and listening under that hood while someone else turned the key. I might have tried manually turning the crank with a long breaker bar (but that's me).

Dan is right, the steering and trans are separate and divorced in every way. BUT, the terrible squeal matched a problem Anders heard before from a transmission. Therefore, it MUST be the trans.

I cannot count the times I heard people say, "Well, that's what it was the last time..."

Unfortunately, 'sound troubleshooting practices' means, use all your senses and never jump to conclusions. Anders's problem would have produced a bad smell of V-belt rubber, a loud squeal, and smoke because a pulley wouldn't turn. I never heard about 'hard steering', probably because Anders considered the neighbors and turned the engine off as fast as possible.

I am just happy that this problem only cost Anders a V-belt and a couple new bolts. The new pulley center looks nice, too. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Sorry I'm still confused. The Cruise o matic did not receive a vacuum modulator until 1961. Was there another type of modulator on the earlier Cruise o matic?

And I didn't help...

Comment

• Anders
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jan 19 2008

I though it was the tranny. For 2 reasons. 1: It squeeled as it have done before in the past when I tryed to put in reverse, with what I today think, to little oil in it. 2: The bolts that got loose braked the pully and therfor braked the engine and therfor it felt like it was something with the transmission. Excuse me for not be able to describe it better

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

Hey! We all learn something here everyday due to contributions such as yours...
                      Thanks

I need you guys more than ever as a matter of fact. There are some guys at Volvo who drives old cars, and some of them help me if they can. One of my closest collegues, and also a friend outside work, who was a HUGH FORD FAN, owning at the moment a totally overhauled 1970 Torino Cobra, a ī55 T-bird and a ī59 Ranchero ( that he and his wife bought on the first trip to USA when they where teenagers ) suddenly, and totally chocking died last week. In the age of 53. So I can never check with Roy if I did right or wrong, or what I shuld do. He was also the guy who most of the times was my friend "the expert" due to his knowledge of Fords. I think he hade like 25 during the years, and always only Fords. He got caught by Acute Leukemia. He felt some pain in his shoulder on a Monday and was dead on the Friday the same week. Leaving his wife who he meet when he was 16 and she 15, and 2 great kids, 19 & 21 years of age. So please be kind to my future lack of knowledge. I admire all of you here at the forum for your knowledge and are so glad that so many spend time and effort trying to help me out. Thanks guys! Attached: Royīs Orange Torino Cobra and another friends Talladega.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Anders
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jan 19 2008

Let me try.

Bingo!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Anders
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                          Anders wrote this before he knew what was wrong. At this point the hood wasn't opened. I am surprised he discounted the warning sounds and automatically assumed his transmission was squealing very loudly. This is usually a common mistake for folks who don't wrench, or troubleshoot. They simply assume the worst.

Anders was clearly bothered by the terrible squealing and what the neighbors might think so he, "braked and moved the gear selector around to see if anything would take away the squeel".

The actual troubleshooting part of this problem proved to be simple, but who did it? I realize hindsight is 20/20, but if this were my car, I would be the first one looking and listening under that hood while someone else turned the key. I might have tried manually turning the crank with a long breaker bar (but that's me).

Dan is right, the steering and trans are separate and divorced in every way. BUT, the terrible squeal matched a problem Anders heard before from a transmission. Therefore, it MUST be the trans.

I cannot count the times I heard people say, "Well, that's what it was the last time..."

Unfortunately, 'sound troubleshooting practices' means, use all your senses and never jump to conclusions. Anders's problem would have produced a bad smell of V-belt rubber, a loud squeal, and smoke because a pulley wouldn't turn. I never heard about 'hard steering', probably because Anders considered the neighbors and turned the engine off as fast as possible.

I am just happy that this problem only cost Anders a V-belt and a couple new bolts. The new pulley center looks nice, too. - Dave
                          You are so right! As this happend 06:00 in the morning, I sended my thought to the forum right away as soon as I came into office. I also sended a mail to "the core gang at work" saying the same thing. One guy phoned me, so we went home, and first then, we where two. I was in the car while he listening, and it was he who heard that the noice didnīt came from the tranny, but more forward, and who saw that the belt and pully was stucked. I was just very quick in asking everybody at the same time. But what the heck, this might be a good lesson for another beginner at a later point? Who knows

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Cruise-O-Matic breakdown?

Anders, I want to extend my condolences on the loss of your good friend, Roy...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Anders, we all love you and we will always be here to help any and ALL of our Squarebird members and friends. My thoughts and prayers go out to Roy's family for their terrible loss, and to you for the pain of losing a good friend.

I will start a new thread but, Richard Hord needs our help, too.

Maybe there is something to, bad things come in threes, because my neighbor (two doors down) had a massive stroke. She is only 53, like Roy. She and her husband had been raising their grandson for the past three years. Recently, their son found a new girlfriend, so one week ago tonight, he came to his mom's, and took the baby to live with him.

That night, she was crying on the baby's room floor, with her husband by her side, when she started showing signs of a stroke. The husband asked, 'Honey, should I call an ambulance?' She said, "NO!"

Eight hours later, the son came home and HE called 911. Yesterday, they took her off the ventilator. The tubes are still draining pressure from her brain. The neighborhood is buzzing with concern because we all know that Cindy will never be the same.

On a happier note, Robin's 53rd birthday was on the 14th. She picked out her first pair of cowgirl boots and a hat. While she is teaching tomorrow, I will order them from a place in San Antonio (near Ray Clark's house).

I am still very happy that Anders's experience did not cost any serious money and it was quickly repaired. - Dave
                              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• lawyercalif
                                Experienced
                                • May 12 2011

Anders,

First of all I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It is hard to lose those we care about. You have my condolences.

Second, I was not trying to question your reasons for thinking it was the transmission initially. Based on some of the responses it seemed to me others believed there was a connection between the power steering and the transmission. This got me questioning my own knowledge since I could not figure out how that could be true. I was actually confused.

Then when Kultulz said it could happen because of a change in vacuum, I thought now that makes sense. Until I remembered that the vacuum modulator did not appear until 1961. So I was back to being confused, but Simplyconnected cleared it all up for me.

Glad it was not your transmission and I am sorry if I came off as a smart Alec.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎