X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juantejeda
    Experienced
    • May 7 2004

RE: Just Bitten by Squarebird Bug

The 45 record player came out in the early late 50's early 60's, it was made by a company in Paramount, California called A.R.C. (stood for Autoumatic Record Changer) it played upto 13 45 RPM records.

This company also made a version of this reocrd player for RCA, which was the same, only the name was changed. I believe they even made one for Montomery Wards. It sold for just under 100 bucks, and if I recall, if you were in the Paramount area they would even install it for you, at no extra charge (I lived in Compton, CA back then, next door to Paramount.

There is an outfit in New York State that rebuilds these units. They give estimates and it comes out to about $500 or so. You can find these units on Ebay and I've seen them go for as much as $1,200 depending on their condition. The one that sold for $1,200 was new and still in the original box. The guy selling it claimed that he had to open the box to get the picture.

I have all the brochures and schematics. I can scan and send, if you need them.

TJ
    TJ
    Thunderbird Registry #7960

Comment

• juantejeda
      Experienced
      • May 7 2004

I just want to add that I purchased my Squarebird thru a seller that was advertising on Ebay. Even though my purchase was with he seller after I contacted him with some questions about the car. He sent me his phone number and ater we talked for awhile and agreed on a price he ended his auction. He sent me many pictures and was willing to let me look at the car in person.

The seller gave me all the history and had reciepts for all the resent engine and transmission work completed on the car. The car was not restored to original, had an upgraded engine and had a custom interior. I had a little work to do on it, but it was pretty much in driveable condition. He even agreed to deliver it on a trailer, so I could drive it before the final deal was made.

I ended up driving it home from Riverside, CA to Santa Barbara, CA, probably about 100-150 miles, when the seller's truck spun a bearing during his delivery.

Other than it has terrible gas milage (two Holly 4brl carbs)and the windshield wipers were a little sluggish (vacume type) and hadn't been used for some time, it did fine. I did some work in getting it ready for show and have continued with the upkeep, as I mostly have it for show, it was a worthwhile investment.

I have won quite a few local trophies as well as a first place at the 2005 Fabulous Fords Show in Buena Park, Thunderbird mini Concourse Show. Quite an achievment, being that this is one of the biggest Ford Shows on the west coast and it was the Thunderbird anniversary show with many Thunderbirds present to compete with.

Anyway, my experiance with the purchse of my bird was a good one. I have heard all the tales of the junk that is sold over Ebay, but there are a lot of honest people out there also. Just be aware of what your doing and do some checking, ask alot of questions and get some written guaratees. Nothing beats going out and looking before you buy.

TJ
      TJ
      Thunderbird Registry #7960

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
        Experienced
        • Mar 31 2004

I have bought cars from several places but from the pics I can usually figure out if bondo bob has been busy. I am no expert but there are many clues with any year car that gives one clues. Best to go look yourself but make sure you are very versed in the problems and what to look for. Most of on the various lists would not mind going to look for you, but do not be surprised that the report on the bird will not be good.
        Bes to find one that is unmolested state so it is easy to detect what has been done to the car. Biggest problem is rust. No want rust. Rust never ends and to repair is a very costly endeavor. Been there done that.
        As for mechnaicals. Who cares these are easy to fix and have finite costs for each item, by this i mena they are not a endless money pit as is rust. Rebuilding an engine has various levels of cost but once done your costs exceot for maint is over.
        There have been many horror stories aobut buying cars that were advertised one way but found to be full of problesm and cosmetically done to sell.
        Be advised this is not an easy search and sometimes the car is in your backyard but not advertised for sale.

Fuz
        58's&64's
        Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

• ayrwoof
          Experienced
          • Apr 4 2005

One other area that is oer looked is exhaust system . the square bird
          pipes i'd installed seem to favor a larger size pipe and muffler inlet ( 2 1/4") with a 2" down turn. this cut radiator temp . almost 10 deg at stop lite i run 180 stat.. consider the "worth it"
          power rackn pinion system. i am .. dave/// /// ///

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎