X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Fixing New Door Panels

I finally got the door trim pieces back from anodizing and decided to install them on the new panels. I had already removed the vinyl covering to straighten the red seam below the metal spear. Overall, I am happy with the results. Hopefully everything will now line up when they are installed.
    The first picture is when I installed the spears on the first set of new panels, using the holes provided in the panel, not realizing that the vinyl was not installed properly. You can see how the red tapers way off. The second picture is the second new panel, where I removed and re-stapled the vinyl to get proper alignment. A good test is to measure the red vinyl and make sure the seam is parallel to bottom of the panel. Do this before you cut the holes to install the metal spears.
    Just takes patience and the correct staples.
    Nyles
    Attached Files
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I was looking for the "Like" button...and then I realized this isn't Facebook.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fixing New Door Panels

Greg, nope we do not have a "Like" button, but we do have a "Rate Thread" feature! So you can use it, if you would like to "Like" this thread!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Myles now they look very cool. Love that color combo
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• 430bird60
          Experienced
          • Dec 30 2008

KUDOS to Thunderbird Headquarters

I purchased quite a few parts in 2012 from Thunderbird Headquarters. Enough so I could qualify for their discount. Included were door panels. Well, this past spring I began installing them and found that on one of the panels the stripe below the spear was not even. I didn't call TB hqtrs as I had purchased them so long ago and their warranty had run out. I took the panel to a local uphosterer who assured me he could fix it. He did nothing to fix the problem and instead made the slots on the backboard larger. I started doing a search od squarebirds and found that Nyles had had the same issue with his panels. As I don't have Nyles' talent I took the panel back to Thunderbird Headquarters and contacted Mike to see if anything could be done. As it was obviously a defect in the manufacturing process a new cover was installed on the backboard and I got it back in about a month. I reinforced the slots in the backboard, installed the panel on the car and it looks great. I never even heard anything like " You have had them for six years what do you expect us to do?" Thanks for your help Mike.

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

Great to hear the TBird Headquarters helped you out. When I discovered the problem, it took a while to convince them of what was wrong with the panels. I even offered to go the manufacturer and show them what they were doing wrong, but had that offer declined. They agreed to send me a new set of panels, which unfortunately were a crooked as the first set. The advantage to the new set was that I could redo the vinyl covers BEFORE I cut the slots for the spears. All ended up good. I think they finally got the new covers corrected. Glad again to hear things worked out for you.
            Nyles

Comment

• Frango100
              Experienced
              • May 2 2016

That panel looks amazing Nyles.
              sigpicFrank
              1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
              Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

Working...
              😀