Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I have a coolant overflow tank hooked up at the highest point in the system. No air bubbles.

But I'll keep an eye on it. I can always use one of the extra fittings on the intake manifold to mount the temp sensor if need be. 429/460's have coolant running through the front of the intake manifold.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Dakota Boy

I have a coolant overflow tank hooked up at the highest point in the system. No air bubbles.
      Good Man...

Originally posted by Dakota Boy Continues

But I'll keep an eye on it. I can always use one of the extra fittings on the intake manifold to mount the temp sensor if need be. 429/460's have coolant running through the front of the intake manifold.
      I am not criticizing and/or correcting you but the sensor should be in the intake coolant channel directly before the thermostat as this is where the direct engine coolant temp is measured on all (most) OEM applications. This is also where the reading will be used by the thermostat to regulate flow.

It may be possible that while moving through and past the thermostat, the agitation caused in the coolant (another reason for full flow thermostat) may aerate leading to a false reading and in this case the sensor bulb may not be submerged in the flow correctly. The recovery bottle will greatly diminish this but even the smallest air leak in the system may draw outside air.

What did you think of the MARCH FE SERPENTINE FEAD? They also have 385 SERIES applications.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

I'll move the sensor to the intake manifold this weekend.

And I try not to look too hard at things that may cause me to spend money right now.... I have a couple of daily drivers to pay off first.

Comment

• KULTULZ

And I try not to look too hard at things that may cause me to spend money right now.... I have a couple of daily drivers to pay off first.
          Yeah, I know how it is...

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

On some cars I have fitted the accesory guage sender to the intake and the factory guage sender to the thermostat housing.

That way I know when the thermostat opens and the engine is warmed up, ready to accept full throttle!
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
              Experienced
              • Jun 20 2012

I'll move the sensor to the intake manifold this weekend.

Just curious about the sensor movement result - did you manage to do it? How is the functionality?

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

moved it? yes.

make a difference? not really; as far as I can tell.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                  Experienced
                  • Jun 20 2012

moved it? yes.

make a difference? not really; as far as I can tell.
                  Where did you move it to? Can you post a photo? I will be doing the very same instalation shortly. Got my dual fan already, tomorrow I'm ordering the Flex-a-Lite at Summit. Only need to figure the alternator, what type and power did you chose finally?

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 30 2009

I'm installing a 90 amp three-wire alternator on Saturday. I have posted a pic of the alternator specs below. I have also posted a pic of the temp sensors. The one in the chrome water neck is for the temp gauge I have in my dash. The one in the intake manifold (with the black wire coming out of it) goes to the Flex A Lite fan controller. And the last pic is a view of the whole setup; including the coolant overflow tank. Keep in mind this motor is a 385-series 460, and is probably way different than your setup.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

TURN ON SPEED = 1213 RPM
                      This sounds more like a ONE-wire alt. Three wire alt's put out at a much lower (idle) speed.

I'm not criticizing but their scale starts at 1,000 rpm. Every alt I ever had (all 3-wire) charged in rush hour traffic at halted speeds. It's just too important that the alt services your electric fan without discharging your battery under all circumstances, even on hot days with the A/C running.

I hope this helps. If those are the real numbers, I would look for a different alt. Engine size doesn't matter. - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 30 2009

I believe that's alternator rpm, not engine rpm.

This one has the BAT, F, S, and Ground wire hookups; and requires an external voltage regulator. (Exactly the same as my current alternator.)

I bought it at a shop that is chock full of "veteran" gearheads, not just some random AutoZone. I'm pretty sure it's a three-wire.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎