X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Selectaire/Gauge Light Bulbs

I checked the manual and the tech library for installing a light bulb behind the Selectaire switch. Can someone instruct me? I couldn't reach anything behind the face plate with the radio out either. The 4 face plate screws seem obvious, but nothing budged when I removed those.

I installed LED instrument light bulbs on the gauges and ash tray skipping the radio and Selectaire switch. I used the "4 LED" 25 lumen version of the warm white bulbs except for the switch bezel areas where I used cool white. The results are mixed. These seem to work better on the Temp gauge and clock, but seem a bit bright where 3 get installed for the speedo. Still no illumination for the ignition switch and headlight switch. Even worse that the incandescent bulbs.

I suppose I shouldn't be that bothered by this, but that what happens when the rest of the car works pretty well.

I'd like to know what experience you have with LED's or OEM bulbs.

Dean
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Dean:
    The select air controller is secured to a separate plate behind the center console cover. You may need to remove the front section of the center console to gain access. The picture shows the plate that the controller is attached to.
    Nyles
    Attached Files

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Great photo. I can see why some owners install an extra light above the switch in the radio access plate.

Dean

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

Makes a great map reading light also. Oh yeah, what's a map??
        Nyles
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Nyles you are dating yourself. Oh yeah, what's a map?
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

My first employer (out of college) had a huge map on the wall of our territory. We kept individual county map booklets that were indispensable. I kept those in case of a nuclear war. Just kidding.

Dean

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

I still can’t get to that Selectaire light bulb. The radio was easy compared to removing all the screws in the console piece that surrounds the control head.

Why would this be the crazy way to change this when all the other bulbs are accessible?

Dean

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎