fm converters

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

fm converters

hi
    Does anyone know where i could get/buy a FM converter for my AM radio. Don't want to take it apart to modify just want to plug something in. I had such an animal in the 70s' but have not been able to find it or anything like that new forsale today.
    thanks
    Mark
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

RE: fm converters

Not sure about the converters.
    Sounds like they would be pricey if they are that hard to come by.

here's what I did for my '60 hardtop
    1. bought a $110 Pioneer SuperTuner with CD player and installed it in the glove box. The thing has more amps than I'll ever use!
    2. bought a $60 pair of Sony speakers and hid one under the passenger seat and one on the firewall behind the radio (sort of wedged it in there with shims). They are only about 4" or so across (3-way speakers) so you can hide them anywhere.
    3. hooked up the speakers plus the console speaker to the Pioneer.

Now I can get AM, FM, and listen to the CD of my choice. Didn't touch a thing on my original working radio or amp so it is an easy conversion to get back to original. The original radio still has power to it so it lights up at night.

My Fm has something like 12 or 15 presets which you probably won't have on the conversion.
    I really love the CD more than the radio cause I can listen to some REAL music from the era of this automoibile - it's like a time machine when Chuck Berry comes on and I'm driving the Bird!

Casey
    '60 TBird hardtop
    '64 Galaxie convertible
    Casey

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

RE: fm converters

I just sold a Squarebird with an 1980's FM converter a month ago.

You might find used ones on some auction sites.

I agree with Casey, there are better options for you listening enjoyment now. You can replace your stock radio with one that fits in its place or you can install one of the new Secret Audio that keeps your old radio, but allows you to hear FM and CD's.

I made my own secret system years ago. The radio looks stock, but it has a stereo hidden behind the face. The original volume control still controls the volume of the stereo. The CD player hides under the front seat. The judges are totally unaware the car has a stereo.

See http://www.metropartsmarket.com/cata...dio-c1s21.html

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰