No announcement yet.

Squarebird restoration woes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squarebird restoration woes

The Squarebird outsold the 55-57 birds by a large amount. You can almost build a 55-57 from scratch with the parts from those vendors. Not so with the Squarebird and not so with the 430 engine. When will the word get out to the restoration market that there is abunch of 58-60 Bird lovers out there. I was told today by three vendors that noone is reproducing the fuel pump for the 430 engine in the Bird. They have the Lincoln pump but it has the holes in different locations requiring a major re-routing of gas lines.
    I guess if it was easy they wouldnt call it a hobby!!!
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Squarebird restoration woes

Twenty years ago, I was very jealous of the repro parts availability of the 55-57 T-Birds. There was little besides repro patch panels and weatherstripping parts for the Squarebirds. The situation for our cars is pretty good and getting better by the day. This is all due to demand from people like us.

Cannot your fuel pump be rebuilt?

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Yea I'm planning on getting it rebuilt, but its just the point that there is a market for Squarebird parts and I guess it is getting better but will it ever get as good as the 55-57.

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

Call A & M Auto Supply in Los Gatos, Calif. 408-356-5141. Ask for Wayne (part time-semi retired)

They'll have it (or can get it. Get a Carter if it's avai.

John

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Seems like I have 2 get one every 2-3 years on my Bird, as I don't drive it much. But they warranty it every time, so I'm turning in cores!!

However, now I'm scared after reading this thread....
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

430 Fuel Pump

Larry's Thunderbird lists a 430 Fuel Pump Part #B9350E on Page 43 of his 2007 catalog

www.larrystbird.com

Comment

• bcomo
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 23 2005

Andy:

Do you still need a 430 pump? I replaced mine with a NOS from E-Bay for $59.95. It is the correct pump with inlet and outlet 90 degrees apart. Works fine.

Item:FORD THUNDERBIRD LINCOLN 1958 1959 1960 430 FUEL PUMP (290137931005)
              Attached Files
              Bart
              1960 Hard Top/430
              Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Holly Carb

Gentlemen now that you atre discussing fuel pumps I need your advice collectively. I have a Holly carb which works wonderful at mid to high end speeds but not when idling. I should have known from past experienec that you can go through 10 of these and MAY get one that works fine. I have the idle set at just over 800 and still is rough when at idle under load. For you carb guys out there, what is the preferred choice Carter, Edelbrock and why. I want to replace the Holly sometime in the fall, as we are not always on the highway. I went to a S&S last weekend and came out following a couple of old boys in 48 / 49 chevs respectively. They wren't going any faster than 50, so of course I kicked the 58 into passing mode and exploded passed them. Like I said we do drive these birds in the city.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada

Dano Calgary,Alberta
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Fuel pump

I bought the same fuel pump, going to get my old one rebuilt as a spare.

Comment

• bcomo
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 23 2005

Did you have any problems screwing the canister fuel filter into the pump? Mine was really hard to start the first few threads -- almost striped it. I'm using a NAPA filter. I wonder if that's the problem. Where did you get your fuel filter from?
                    Bart
                    1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• bcomo
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 23 2005

Dan:

I don't know anything about the Holley carbs. I've rebuilt two Carter AFB's and they are very easy to rebuild. I think that if you go with the Carter, or Edlebrock, you will at a minimum be looking at some fuel line re-routing, and maybe linkage fit problems. There are others who would know much more about this subject.

I think that you should start a completely new thread on the 58-60 forum. I have a feeling that you will get much more active interest and posts that way -- your question is kind of lost in the MEL section.
                      Bart
                      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎