X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sidewalkman
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 14 2015

Signals

Hi Gang, I was out driving in the Bird and the signals were fine, then half way home I noticed they stopped working.

Is there a fuse or do you think the flasher packed it in. The dash indicator isn't going on and staying on, there's nothing.

Thoughts?
    Scott
    South Delta, BC, Canada
    1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
    Red Leather Interior!
    www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
    Thunderbird Registry #61266
    http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Do you have a wiring diagram?
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• sidewalkman
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by simplyconnected
      Do you have a wiring diagram?
      I just found one on the TRL, I see an inline fuse someplace after the flasher, I'll climb around under the dash, see if I can find it.

You'd think nobody had invented a fuse box, so confusing.
      Scott
      South Delta, BC, Canada
      Red Leather Interior!

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I believe that flasher fuse is on the rear of your headlight switch, as shown in the diagram. It is NOT in-line.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• sidewalkman
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 14 2015

I believe that flasher fuse is on the rear of your headlight switch, as shown in the diagram. It is NOT in-line.
          I don't want to argue with the guru of Squarebirds but I think it's on the green and ylo wire coming out of the switch, but I'll check the fuses on the switch first and report back. Would make it easier if it's the switch, I know where that is!!!
          Scott
          South Delta, BC, Canada
          Red Leather Interior!

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by sidewalkman
            I don't want to argue with the guru of Squarebirds but I think it's on the green and ylo wire coming out of the switch, but I'll check the fuses on the switch first and report back. Would make it easier if it's the switch, I know where that is!!!
            This is an open forum open to the internet. We want to know of any deviation from "factory stock."

Our prints show green with a yellow trace (Green-Yellow) start at the headlight switch (D-post). That wire feeds both door switches with power.

You refer to 'switch' but I don't know which one. If you are looking for a 1960 Thunderbird turn signal unit wire it should be Blue. Power for the flasher unit starts as orange-yellow at the key switch and continues to the headlight switch fuse, then to the flasher unit. After the flasher unit, the wire continues to the steering column connectors (look for a blue wire and blue bullet connector).

I have to say, a blown fuse in the middle of a trip is very rare. Fuses usually blow when something happens to cause overcurrent. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

The fuse is on the headlight switch and a short one. I had to tape (insulate) the flasher unit connections because they touched metal and shorted out once accidently. That killed the brake lights and therefore the turn signals, I think.

Dean

Comment

• JohnG
                John
                • Jul 28 2003

I had exactly the same thing happen as Dean.

Does the flasher unit have a physical home or is it just kind of on its own? Mine was just stuffed up in the wiring jumble and thus free to move around.

John
                1958 Hardtop
                #8452 TBird Registry
                http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                history:
                http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The flasher unit clamps to the side of the dash frame behind the instrument panel on the right side. You can see it in the picture where the white tabs are. Trying to get it back in place is nearly impossible so I just tape it where it's more convenient and it won't touch any metal.

John
                  Attached Files
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

It's important to note, Ford kept the same mounting place for the flasher unit but made a wiring change in the Squarebird after 1958.

Flasher Unit Power
                    1958 Squarebirds had a headlight switch with ONE fuse holder attached to the back. Let's start with power at the key switch (A-terminal, Orange-Yellow wire) that feeds the in-line fuse. The fuse feeds the flasher unit, then on to the steering column bullet connector (Blue).

1959 and 1960 Squarebirds had a headlight switch with TWO fuse holders attached to the back. Many vendors only sell this switch, today. It doesn't hurt to have that 'extra' fuse holder and it works for all Squarebirds.

Wiring for these two years is similar to the '58 in that, power still comes from the key switch (A-terminal, Orange-Yellow wire), then it continues to the fuse on the rear of the headlight switch. The fuse feeds the flasher unit, then on to the steering column bullet connector (Blue).

This change is very minor but still different.
                    Flasher unit power is different from brake light power. In all years, your steering column is fed from two different power sources; one from the brake light circuit and the other from the flasher unit circuit. Remember, turn signals interrupt brake lights.

Stop Switch Power
                    1958 and 1959 Squarebirds started their stop switch power at the headlight switch (A-terminal, Green wire). It fed the stop (pressure) switch. The 'A' terminal is already protected by the fuse on the back of the headlight switch. The brake switch feeds the steering column through a (Green) wire and bullet connectors.

1960 Squarebird brake lights are wired differently. They have a separate in-line fuse mounted right next to the key switch. Power starts at the key switch (B-terminal, Green wire) that feeds the stop switch. The fuse feeds the steering column (Green ) bullet connectors.

Steering Column wires
                    For all Squarebird troubleshooting convenience, ALL stop and signal lights can be tested at the steering column bullet connectors. Simply follow the wiring colors in the diagram:

Power
                    from brake switch - Green
                    from flasher unit - Blue

Front Lamps
                    RH Signal - White-Blue
                    LH Signal - Green-White

Rear Lamps
                    RH Stop/Signal - Orange-Blue
                    LH Stop/Signal - Green-Orange

There are two more bullet connectors
                    horn button - Blue-Yellow
                    PRNDL lamp - Blue-Red

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• sidewalkman
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 14 2015

This is an open forum open to the internet. We want to know of any deviation from "factory stock."

Our prints show green with a yellow trace (Green-Yellow) start at the headlight switch (D-post). That wire feeds both door switches with power.

You refer to 'switch' but I don't know which one. If you are looking for a 1960 Thunderbird turn signal unit wire it should be Blue. Power for the flasher unit starts as orange-yellow at the key switch and continues to the headlight switch fuse, then to the flasher unit. After the flasher unit, the wire continues to the steering column connectors (look for a blue wire and blue bullet connector).

I have to say, a blown fuse in the middle of a trip is very rare. Fuses usually blow when something happens to cause overcurrent. - Dave
                      Hi Dave

Of course you were correct, I was probably having an acid flashback. But fuse replaced, signals are back working. I'm pretty sure the whole wiring of the car is stock.

On that note I'm trying to get my micro switch for the washer working but am wonder where I can tap into to get switched power.

Also I have a 3 prong micro switch, 1 is common, power in I'm assuming, then there is normal open and normal closed. I'm assuming to get switch actuation I plug into normal open so the switch closes it and we get power correct?
                      Scott
                      South Delta, BC, Canada
                      Red Leather Interior!

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Scott, are we talking about 'electric wipers'? You don't offer much detail so that's what I assume. If so, the correct method is to ADD an in-line fuse for both the wiper motor and the squirts. I assume you will use an electric motor pump for the squirts (like most modern cars have). Simply add another ring terminal to your key switch 'A' terminal for the new fuse, but put the fuse somewhere convenient, so you can reach it on a dark Sunday night, when most fuses go south.

BTW, while you're under there, you will find an in-line fuse right next to your 1960 Squarebird's key switch. Extend the wires on that fuse and mount it in a convenient place so you can access it without standing on your head.

Micro switches are very reliable and great but most have a very low current capacity. I use them to turn on a relay. In fact, I'm using a computer mouse micro switch for my brake pedal. It nicely energizes a relay coil but the relay contacts do all the heavy lifting for the lamps. Relays and sockets are cheap and practically bullet-proof.

I always invite different ideas and opinions just in case someone has a better one than mine. I'm always learning too, so don't hesitate to share your thoughts. - Dave

Use your ohm meter or a continuity light to find your normally open contacts. If you are only using two terminals on the switch it doesn't matter which terminal you connect to power.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• sidewalkman
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 14 2015

Scott, are we talking about 'electric wipers'? You don't offer much detail so that's what I assume. If so, the correct method is to ADD an in-line fuse for both the wiper motor and the squirts. I assume you will use an electric motor pump for the squirts (like most modern cars have). Simply add another ring terminal to your key switch 'A' terminal for the new fuse, but put the fuse somewhere convenient, so you can reach it on a dark Sunday night, when most fuses go south.
                          Thanks Dave, I made the little micro switch behind the stock squirter switch to convert it to electric. The stock wiper motor is working great after pulling out all the extra vacuum hoses and capping them at the motor. I did the brake fluid trick at the same time and they've worked well ever since. A note to anyone considering running the brake fluid through the vacuum motor, do it outside, I did it in an underground parking lot, it looked like the building was on fire for an hour after. I now have an ohm meter so I'll get back under there to test for a hot connection.
                          Scott
                          South Delta, BC, Canada
                          Red Leather Interior!

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

...Micro switches are very reliable and great but most have a very low current capacity. I use them to turn on a relay...
                            The relay is very important. If you have problems finding a good one with a socket, I can send you one for five bucks plus shipping. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• JohnG
                              John
                              • Jul 28 2003

Scott, can you show us a photo of your switch conversion? and
                              what exact switch you purchased?

thanks!
                              john
                              1958 Hardtop
                              #8452 TBird Registry
                              http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                              history:
                              http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎