No announcement yet.

60 T-Bird Custom Autosound

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

60 T-Bird Custom Autosound

I'm looking to upgrade the radio in my 60 T-bird. I'm considering the Custom Autosound unit. Has anyone installed one of these? Any advice before I purchase?
  • arizonajack
    Experienced
    • Oct 15 2013

Originally posted by KingCuda440
    I'm looking to upgrade the radio in my 60 T-bird. I'm considering the Custom Autosound unit. Has anyone installed one of these? Any advice before I purchase?
    Appears that it requires a dash modification for the 58-60 T-Bird according to their website.

Online reviews don't appear to be too favorable.

Comment

• Ricochet
      • Jun 29 2013

What about something like this:

That way you can keep the old school look and even run a separate system

Comment

• tbrd60
        Apprentice
        • Nov 3 2006

What I did was put a amp under the seat and plugged my mp3 player to the amp. I replaced the console speaker with a duel stereo speaker that fits right where the original speaker was. That way you keep your original radio have play your mp3s and you don't see anything.

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by KingCuda440
          I had one, unless their product has gotten better I would look for something else.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to mount a stereo in the glovebox.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Wait just a dog-gone minute. Gary Tayman did two radios for me. My '55 Ford has a round dial and nothing on the market replaces it.

Gary installed a radio inside my radio. Now I have AM/FM stereo with L-R, F-B fade and two RCA jacks in case I want to run music from my mp3 player (the radio automatically cuts out if a signal is sensed on the RCA jacks). It comes with a power antenna option, but my antenna is a special 'fixed' Fairlane antenna. That radio and that antenna were only used for 1955.

All the knobs and dials look absolutely bone stock, and the five chrome pushbuttons work like a charm. I keep some for AM and some for FM.

The '59 Galaxie has a Ford premium 'Town & Country' (made by Motorola) radio. I believe this radio was available for Squarebirds, too. Gary kept the wonderbar (station seek) function, and used the "T" and "C" buttons for choosing AM or FM mode. My pushbuttons turn the radio on/off and select stations. As soon as the radio goes on, my power antenna raises. Push the 'off' pushbutton and the antenna retracts. It has all the same features of the above '55 radio (AM/FM, MP3 jacks, F-B, L-R fade and tone control). That radio looks absolutely bone stock as well. He could have installed a small LED to show 'stereo stations', but the dial looks much more authentic without it.

Please call Gary Tayman. He's a good guy, very easy to speak with, has done work for several of our members over the years and he has a '64 Thunderbird (this is his car):

CLICK HERE for his web site and phone number down in Sarasota, FL. - Dave
              Last edited by simplyconnected; November 22, 2013, 04:26 PM.
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

custom auto sound

Originally posted by RustyNCa
                I had one, unless their product has gotten better I would look for something else.
                I would think twice about the custom auto sound as well. I have one in my 1960 bird and for some strange reason it stop playing like it use to. I called and they told me that maybe the antenna was worn so I bought another and it's even worst. The signal is so weak that I barely plays. The tape player plays great. I have one in my 55 Chevy and the same thing is happening. It will play for about 20 min then it just fuzzes out. I don't know what I am going to do now.

Comment

• ayrwoof
                  Experienced
                  • Apr 4 2005

speaker of the house

<had rusty 59 radio , gutted it loaded in mid 70's delco parts.
                  now has am/fm solid state with original face. and stereo led.
                  next ,i'll look up the suncoast classics sound system. speaker dual voice coil. and 2.20" tall -6X9 .

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎