This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Front Suspension -- Need Help ASAP

I have the front suspension apart on my 60 HT with 430 and AC.

There is a thick bottom rubber spring insulator on each of my springs. I don't see those showing in any exploded parts view, or listed at any vendors. I do have the thin top insulators.

Alexander, DGS, or anyone that has done the front end rebuild -- did you have a thick bottom insuator???

Also, the vendors sell a "Metal Spring Shim 1/4 inch" that is supossed to go on the drivers side top spring for AC cars only. Did any of you have that???

I'm stuck until I can get answers to these.

Thanks

Last edited by bcomo : 02-04-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

That is a good question Bart. My 1960 had NO insulators, nor a left spring spacer when I rebuild my front end a while back....

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

I am about 100% sure that my 58 hadn't been apart and it didn't have any spacers, shims or anything on the top or bottom when I had it apart.

From looking at a few seems like the front end is the same 58~60 isn't it.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Ya having fun yet?

No bottom insulator or shim on mine, but I've got the 352 and no AC. What do your springs measure?

Rusty - Those Wilwood brakes look sweet. That's the first I've seen the outside the spring shock mount too. I wondered how that worked.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:16 AM
Super-Experienced

Doug -- Yes, I'm having a wonderful time, Ha, Ha.

My spring height measures 15 1/2", and the spring diameter is .71, which is correct for the 60 430 with A/C.

I know that the ball joints were changed in the past because they have nuts, not rivets. My ROT sheet shows heavy duty rear suspension (7 leafs), and my car has always had a slight rake in the back.

The bottom spacers on the front springs are as big as Bagels -- no lie. I could not find any part number or marking on them. The height with these bagels under the spring, increase the spring height by 1/2" (16" total).

My guess is that somewhere along the line, someone didn't like the excessive rake with the extra leaf spring, and may have installed these Bagels during a front end rebuild to bring the front up a little.

Even with the Bagels installed, my car sits with the front wheel wells very close to what we came up with in the "Ride Height Poll" that we did awhile back. If I leave them out, it will go 1/2" lower; I don't want that.

I'll take a photo tomorrow and post what these rubber bagels look like.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Nope, no shims or insulators in mine. Adding shims is common to adj ride ht (Did it w/my 87 Monte Carlo)

According to our ride ht comparison, mine is std ht in frt and 1.5 low in the rear. Again, I've found convertibles sit lower in the rear.

You may want to consider a new (or different) set of frt coils.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:31 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

On another note, "if" you want a new set of those spacers, we have them at my work (GM parts)87-89 Chev Caprice used them, a few others did too. Measure your coils (across), and I can get you the right diameter (5/8 thick aprox)
Old 02-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Instructions on how to rebuild the front end are the technical section.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Super-Experienced

John: I assume that those would be metal spacers for the top of the spring?

Alexander: Did you re-install the top metal spacer that you found under the top rubber insulator?

P.S. I can't find the Front end rebuild in the tech section.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
Ya having fun yet?

No bottom insulator or shim on mine, but I've got the 352 and no AC. What do your springs measure?

Rusty - Those Wilwood brakes look sweet. That's the first I've seen the outside the spring shock mount too. I wondered how that worked.
Well, I guess it goes to show what having no clue will do for you on the shocks. The car had the outside spring shock on the car when I started and I didn't even realize till later that I could run shocks the other way. We lowered the front of the car 2" during the rebuild and spent a good couple of hours figuring out what shocks to run up front with the lower ride height.

Now I need to find some heaver sway bars for the car... well, acutally I need to find a good sway bar for the rear and a very stout one for up front.