X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsnweitzel
    • Feb 8 2013

59 T-Bird Original Wheels with Tires

Here's a link for pictures:

215/75 Rocky Mountain tires all hold air, good tread, one has some wear from bad alignment.

Located in zip 29472
    $100 or best offer

Edit: Just took a closer look and one of these is vented and the other three are not. So I take I have three original wheels and one from a full size ford.
    Last edited by jsnweitzel; October 17, 2017, 05:35 PM.
  • Woobie
    Experienced
    • Apr 1 2016

An original Squarebird wheel being of the vented design ?
    Austin

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Squarebird rims were NON-vented. Those rims for sale are most likely from a full size Ford which used vented rims.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• jsnweitzel
        • Feb 8 2013

My mistake, they were on the car when I got it.

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

Originally posted by jopizz
          Squarebird rims were NON-vented. Those rims for sale are most likely from a full size Ford which used vented rims.

John
          Hey John, what is the significance of non-vented steel wheels other than originality? I recall vented wheels for disc brakes as a performance issue in the late 60's.

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Deanj
            Hey John, what is the significance of non-vented steel wheels other than originality? I recall vented wheels for disc brakes as a performance issue in the late 60's.

Dean
            I don't know why Ford decided to use non-vented rims on Squarebirds. I don't think there's any performance advantage. I can't imagine them wanting more heat in the brakes but who knows.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

I can tell you why. Again, think about the production numbers.

Each assembly plant produced ~800 cars per day. That's 8 X 5 = 4,000 wheel assemblies. Yes, assembly because there are two welded stampings to every wheel.

Ford had 20 assembly plants so now the number is 80,000 wheel assemblies each day, just to satisfy production.

What single plant can make 80,000 wheels per day? Even if we did have one plant, what happens if they have a fire or a power outage. All of Ford would shut down.

Many places made Ford wheels. Each one sent their wheels to the same place. Since T-bird was made in Wixom and Fairlane cars were made elsewhere, it makes sense that the product might deviate IF Ford approved it. Wheel slots are insignificant as far as the product goes, especially if the wheel wears a full wheel cover. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
                Super-Experienced
                • Nov 26 2015

So an outside supplier produced these wheels? That would make it likely some other car makers used these non-slotted wheels and probably even the same exact spec wheel? This meaning there should be another potential source of these wheels?

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Deanj
                  So an outside supplier produced these wheels? That would make it likely some other car makers used these non-slotted wheels and probably even the same exact spec wheel? This meaning there should be another potential source of these wheels?

Dean
                  Kelsey Hayes made the majority of the wheels for Ford and probably other companies back then. However Ford and GM used different hole spacing so the wheels aren't interchangeable. Chrysler did use the same hole spacing as Ford (5 x 4.5 or 114.3) at times so some Chrysler rims may be interchangeable.

John

Comment

• Woobie
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 1 2016

Iron Mountain or Mountain was another. At least the solid unvented wheels should be stronger than the vented. Remember the Tbird at this stage was a great departure from the two-seater Baby Bird. A high performance, luxuriously appointed four-seater sports coupe, if you will.

The OP has several hundred dollars in value represented by the three unvented wheels. The vented wheel may also be high dollar if the date code can be uncovered, or logos.

I'll have to commend the OP for editing his original post.
                    Austin

Comment

• jsnweitzel
                      • Feb 8 2013

I still have these. I'm moving soon and don't want to take them.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎