X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackbird60
    Experienced
    • Nov 28 2008

Heat Core Replacement With A/c

Hi! Is Replacing A Heater Core On A 1960 Bird With A/c More Difficult Than A Regular Bird Without A/c. The Manual I Have Doesn't Distinquish Between The Two?

Thanks- Jack

I would not think it would be much different just start taking the heater box off and you will find out. the heater core should be on the left side.

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Pretty sure it is the same - might be a little more difficult to get to the bolts to remove the heater plenum.

The shop manual I have for the A/C refers you to the non A/C section for the heater core removal/repair. While installing A/C on my car I'm finding the A/C was basically just an add on to the outside firewall. The controls were a little different but the heater core and plenum should be the same. Taking off the blower and evap. box on the outside firewall doesn't remove the heater core only the evaporator for the A/C. The manual isn't very clear on how to replace the core but from the explanation it comes out from the INSIDE passenger compartment. If you have to remove the heater plenum (not sure if you do - maybe only the pass. vent section) to get the core out my guess is the console will have to come out and all the lower dash trim - maybe even the dash unless the defroster ducts just slip off the heater plenum (without coming apart).

In the pic below here's all you get if you remove the blower box on the outside. Both A/C and non A/C cars are the same in this area - the A/C cars just have another slot cut in the upper section of the firewall for the cool air - the heater core is on the inside of the firewall on both. This is a non A/C car but to add A/C you just install a different blower box and the evap. box - well plus a few thousand other things - but you get an idea of where the core is and that it doesn't appear to come out from under the hood.

Eric
      registry 5347
      Last edited by DKheld; May 27, 2010, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• jackbird60
        Experienced
        • Nov 28 2008

Thanks Eric & Bob For Your Help And Advice!! It Will Certainly Help Me To Take It Out And Install!

Jack

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎