No announcement yet.

Attention all "Body Guys"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention all "Body Guys"

So I looked at a '59 last light. It was straight and was an older resto. Some of the paint was peeling (probably poor prep work) but nothing major. Mechanical was tight and clean. Floors, though replaced were solid and the trunk was solid. Minimal rust along bottom edge of driver door.

HOWEVER - the rocker panels felt like they were plastic - when I felt under them there was something almost like a paper substance that I could push my finger through - Not like rotted metal which tends to feel jagged and can cut your finger, it was soft - kind-of like paper mache - could this be some sort of extra material from the floor under-coating that was peeling away? Under that, there was a hard surface. I was actually able to curl my finger up under the rocker (Between the "hard stuff" and the panel) and hold it between two fingers - if I was the destructive type - I might've been able to yank it off the car. What's the deal? Is there a replacement rocker that people use that's made of plastic? - is this all too fishy to ignore?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Attention all "Body Guys"

There should not be anything mushy in the rocker panels. It should be all steel. The cars are unibody. You should be able to visually check this area.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2002

Steve,
      On inspection of mine, they are solid with no play in the metal, like Alex states these are a moulded body shell and should be solid, if i was you i would look for another car , unless you are prepared to repair this area, but expensive repairs is one thing or maybe just a few dollars more for a better Bird may be a better option.
      Kevin 60 Golde Top
      England

Comment

I'm sure your right - however - just for my own knowledge - isn't there an inner and an outer rocker? Outer being the body panel that is visible from the outside and inner being the actual structural piece that is behind it?

My further thoughts might be that the soft material I was feeling might've been fiberglass over-spread from the floor replacement/repair and the hard stuff above it is the inner rocker.

Your further thoughts?

I assure you that I am not just trying to find an answer that I want to hear. I have no problem walking away from this car. I'm really just trying to learn the differences between these cars and my '65 so I know what I'm looking at. As far as I know my '65 does not have an inner and outer rocker panel.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

That's right, the outer rocker panel is the visible painted piece. the inner rocker panel is the panel that connects this outer panel to the frame rail of the car.

The 1958 to 1966 Thunderbirds all use similar unibody construction.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢