X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

12V to coil?

Well, I thought the voltage was a full 12v to the coil but I tested it tonight and at idle it reads 10.5 to 11volts. Once you rev the engine it goes to 12.1 to 12.5. Must still have the resisitor wire in there? Where do I go next with this?
    sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

Forgot to mention in the post that a few weeks ago I put in a Pertonix electronic module in the distributor and got a new Pertronix coil. I think they are supposed to have full battery voltage......

Comment

I,m thinking you are getin 12 volts. If you still have the generator on the car. I think you would be getting around 0.6 or so with the resister wire. Just my thought. Yo dave?????? Yo gary??????????

Comment

• KULTULZ

Do you have the system wired through the IGN SW?

Is it still a generator?

Comment

• Gold Bird
          Experienced
          • Nov 9 2007

it is wired through the original ign switch but how would I know if its the orig generator? Sorry for the dumb question..

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

12V to coil?

Hi Tom. It is not a dumb question. The question he asked was if you were still running a generator on Gold Bird. Or are you running an alternator now? That is how I understood it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

10.5 to 11 volts is enough - according to what I remember of the Petronix site.
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by scumdog

10.5 to 11 volts is enough - according to what I remember of the Petronix site.
                Most likely correct.

I asked if you had a generator as the output may be low. The PERTRONIX system is designed to work off full BAT VOLT which is ideally about 14.6V. This may be difficult to arrive at with a GEN.

But the VOLT you showed seems to be low also. Maybe check the output of the GEN and how much of that is actually getting to the BAT. The volt reg is mechanical and may need to be adjusted (see shop manual).

Ideally, this system should be supplied through a relay (to realize full benefit). The IGN SW signal activates the relay and it draws directly from the BAT.

Are you having ignition performance problems or are just concerned with low BAT VOLT?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by tbirds8
                  I,m thinking you are getin 12 volts...
                  I agree. I would bet, when Tom's car is sitting (not started) the battery reads, 12-volts. Then when he starts it and idles, the generator isn't charging because its running too slow, so the battery goes down to 11.5-volts.

My understanding from my buddies (because I don't use Pertronic's) is, these electronics systems use a lot more juice than the points setup. They work far better with an alternator, just because an alternator outputs plenty of voltage at idle speeds.

I am told, the MSD system draws well over ten amps, but it adds new life to your engine.

Tom, what is your concern regarding performance? Can you tell a big difference when your car voltage drops below 12-volts? Does the engine 'miss' and run erratic?

Measure your battery as it sits (not running for a few hours). If you read under 12-volts, have the battery checked for a dead cell. The Pertronix system depends on a good battery. - Dave
                  Last edited by simplyconnected; June 30, 2010, 03:24 PM. Reason: Name correction because I'm old and often confuse this name with my brother's.
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

12V to coil?

BTW... It was Gold Bird Tom, Jr. who asked the original question, after putting in a Pertronix system in Gold Bird.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Thanks, Rosie. Got the name changed, right and proper. - Dvae
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Gold Bird
                        Experienced
                        • Nov 9 2007

Looking at the alternator/generator it must be the later. My concern is not one of performance but what is best. The car runs fine, but just figured that it should be putting out a full 12v not lower. Will check to see what its putting out and go from there. I am sure the resistor wire is in there as the car had points with a stock style coil if it had more juice I would guess the points would have not lasted this long.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Gold Bird

Looking at the alternator/generator it must be the later.
                          GEN On Left- ALT On Right

Correct. Points (and matching coil) has voltage dropped to approx. 9V with resistor.

Comment

With a generator you won't get 12 volts at idle. If you changed the wire going to your dist. you will get 12 when you hit the gas.

Comment

• Gold Bird
                              Experienced
                              • Nov 9 2007

Generator for sure in my car. So, if I get ride of the resistor wire will I have a full 12volts at the coil?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎