Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

I think it's safe to say both sides of ZDDP usage has been presented. I like the article in the link. Those of us who believe one way or the other probably will not be persuaded. I suspected marketing was behind the push for ZDDP, and maybe his explanation of inferior materials suggest the co-incidence of engine failure and reduced ZDDP levels. His article does share my view for extra ZDDP during engine break-in.

That Harley is from the AMF Harley years. I myself bought a Honda 750 in 1975. Six back surgeries and age 64 have quelled my desire to buy that old classic. Funny, I won't buy a Japanese car, but the MCs were reliable and affordable.

Comment

• sidewalkman
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Yadkin
      FAST makes a multiport EFI for the FE.
      Can't do EFI, I'd lose my collector status, can't even go high rise manifold.
      Scott
      South Delta, BC, Canada
      1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
      Red Leather Interior!
      www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
      Thunderbird Registry #61266
      http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

It's your car and your money to do with what you wish.
        Believer? The first time it happens on your engine you WILL turn into a believer. The last set of FE heads I pulled off, I donated to my local sheeny-man. There wasn't anything about them that was worth salvaging. It was worth far more to me, to help the guy make a couple bucks in scrap iron. (I also gave him a set of leaf and coil springs I replaced.)

The last 351W cam I pulled had lobes like this:

Witness marks show, the lifters were not riding on the lobe centers any longer because the faces were 'dished-out'.

Believer? You betcha. This engine is from a 1970 LTD from Texas that was pulled at 70,000 miles but does it matter? The cam should have lasted two or three times longer. Cams should always outlast rings even though they don't get a steady bath of oil. The load on any cam is the same (spring pressure) whether the engine is under load or not.

Bottom line: Use oil that protects against wear. This engine was designed to run on oil that was API-MS designation, high in ZDDP, according to the Owner's Manual. It did alright in the 1970's and '80's, but not so well after that. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎