Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btiberend
    • Sep 3 2013

My dirty bird project 62'

About 2 months ago I came across a beautiful billet bird that hasn't seen flight in +/- 15 yrs. Soooo .... I did what every shoot from the hip, impulsive man would do. "I bought it" !!!! And LOVE IT !!!
    She sat for a week or two, not knowing anything about the motor or any fortunes that may be hidden in the trunk. " she didn't come with keys" I spent some time working to get into the trunk through the rear seat area, i was able to do so thanks to a few post here. I've since had a lock smith come out to change the ignition and door locks and I have been on my way ever since.
    I went out and bought a new battery to see what would happen when I turned the key. First I tried the lights, they work!!!! Tried the power windows , they work too!!! "Well at least the driver side windows do, I don't plan on riding shotgun anyway!!!" Tried the power seat, it works... But super slow! But still super happy that it does. I tried the motor and it cranks, that one really made me smile! I did the whole oil change , spark plug change, tune up deal along with some carb cleaner and and starting fuel in hopes of a miracle but all I got was super slow cranking and no spark. I went out and got a new coil and rotor and tried it again and same result. And still no spark. Not to worried about the spark issue , so I decided to pull the carb and rebuild it, good thing I did cause it would have never fired, the carb was full gum and tarnish. I decided to pull the intake manifold and heads off too. Good thing I did, looks like my trying to turn a gummed up motor caused a few bent push rods. Stuck lifters = bad things or so I've read. The heads and carb are currently over at a KRAZY ford headman's house on the flow bench getting gone thru.
    With the motor at a stand still, for the moment, I hopped into the interior. Good thing is everything is there and complete, bad thing is everything needs to be completely redone. I started by pulling the front and read side panels. I could hear her talking to me and I believe she said she wanted black on black. I have moved forward on restoring the old ,dry ,brittle and cracked panels myself, and if I must say so myself they look amazing!!!!! I am now a PAID member but still not sure how to post some pictures,but I'll figure it out soon and show the progress.
    After pulling out the panels I moved right along to the seats, center console, dash tins, instrument panel, carpet,headliner and now I'm "looking" at the dash pad.
    I picked up a headliner and some new leaf springs from Larry's , haven't even taken the liner out of the packaging yet, don't want to ruin it.
    I have looked into some dash pad replacements, but I was wondering if any one has tried the "dash pad cap" from stock interiors . That's the 100$ plastic cap/cover? I'm really interested in the fit, I plan on refinishing it to match my door panels, color and texture. I am also starting to think about carpet kits and seat cover kits? Any good advise, Anything that anyone has tried or seen installed would be great.
    Just as a side note to anyone else doing a dirty bird "billet bird".. I am going pretty deep into this one so if I could help with anything please feel free to ask.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Good luck with your project, Brian. My first concern is the body. That is really where you should start. Get the structure sound and all the rusted panels replaced. Next, I would pull the fuel tank, and all the trim you can (including the headliner) and have the body painted.

Since you have the heads off, you should find lots of room to paint the engine bay.

If you do this in any other order, you will end up doing much of the work twice or three times.

After 'paint' comes trim. Trim is all the soft materials, wire harnesses, dash, carpet, headliner, glass, lamp housings and mouldings. The drive train, suspension and exhaust come last.

Keep your project fun, and pin up a picture of the finished product in your garage. It helps to see the light at the end of your tunnel. Good luck, and ask lots of questions. We're here to help. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• arizonajack
      Experienced
      • Oct 15 2013

Hi Brian, good luck with your project.

Thing is, you didn't really have to go through all that effort for the keys.

I needed a key for my 59 some years ago, I don't remember why, but the locksmith came out, took a key blank, put it in the lock, used a small file for the highs and lows, and in ten minutes I had a working key.

Anyway, to post a photo, click "post reply" (not quick reply) and then click on "manage attachments."

A separate window opens. Click "browse", find the photo you want, click on it, the file name appears in the "browse" line, click "upload" and your file name appears just above the "manage attachments" button.

Be aware of the file size limitations before you upload a picture as you might have to resize the photo to keep it within those limits.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Don't forget to go completely through the brakes. It's important that you replace everything that has to do with the hydraulics, even if they look ok. The lines will deteriorate from the inside so don't trust them. With a single master cylinder it's especially important.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• btiberend
          • Sep 3 2013

Dave,
          Thanks for the advise about body and paint, I can't wait to see her all dolled up. The body is pretty straight with the exception of the front passenger fender and the bumper. I have the interior pretty much all out except for the steering wheel, dash pad and dash frame.

Jack,
          Thanks for the picture uploading info, hopefully I'm able to get some up and I'll even put a funny one up just for you. * note* after the locksmith changed all my locks , I got the seats moving, pulled out the seats , pulled out the center console , door kick plate , and carpet I found the ORIGINAL key!!!! Hahaha story of my life.... But I would have it no other way....

John,
          Thanks for the info and advise about the brakes and hydraulics , I can't wait to get her up and running,but when she does I defiantly want her to be able to stop as well. I plan on going through all the components , brakes, suspension , bushings, ect.

While going though my list of to-do's I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the plastic dash caps from (stock interiors) the 100$ dash pad cover. I am mostly concerned with the fit, I am going to redo it with same material and texture as my door panels. I am also interested in carpet kits ,has anyone ordered, installed , or seen any particular brand that had a nice fit and looked good? I am trying to get all of my pieces together to have on hand for reassembly. Thanks in advance.
          Attached Files

Comment

• btiberend
            • Sep 3 2013

Test pictures of the dirty bird
            Attached Files

Comment

• btiberend
              • Sep 3 2013

This is a pile of keys that the 1st. "Locksmith" from a local tow yard used to try and cut a key with a file like you said jack, after two hrs, two spun door lock cylinders, and blood on the carpet from him cutting himself still nothing, that's why I went with the new lock sets
              Attached Files

Comment

• btiberend
                • Sep 3 2013

I don't know why but it seems that I can only upload one picture at a time per post? Is that normal. It gives me the option for 5 pictures but only uploads the last picture.
                Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

My dirty bird project 62'

Hi Brian, I have checked your user id profile and I see nothing that should prevent you from uploading 10 pix. You should be able to upload 5 at a time and then it will allow you to upload 5 more in the same post. You are the first person that I know of who has experienced this problem. My suggestion would be to use a different internet browser to bring up our Forum and see what that does for you. If this continues, give me a telephone call, or send me a Private Message and give me yours and I can call you. My phone number is always part of my signature element.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hello Brian. I am slowly re-doing a lot of stuff on my 62 Landau and have a bunch of parts at very reasonable prices. I have a front bumper very good condition except it is missing about a 1" strip of chrome, a master cylinder, three stock wheels and a few other misc. items.

Good luck with your project.
                    Vince

Comment

• btiberend
                      • Sep 3 2013

motor pictures

on the way to the motor mans house
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰