Power Relay Identification

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Relay Identification

Hi Gang,
    I am new to this great list and have a question. What is the funtion of the two extra relays at the top of the photo I am posting on my web site? http://www.pinecanyonscalemodels.com/relays.htm
    It is the convertible top relay block from my 60 T-bird. I am in the process of restoring the car and never operated the top. It was not working when I got it. I have replaced all ten of the other relays except the two mounted outside the block of 10 relays. The two in question are mounted on 3-1/2 inch straps on the plate. They are 3 post type, but different than the other two on the block. The book does not show these relays. I was going to trace the wires, but ran into a loom. Thanks in advance, Keith
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Power Relay Identification

Having never owned a convertible I am not familar with these systems. If no one else on this list can answer this question, I will ask a mechanic friend of mine who has a 1960 J-code convertible. He replaced all the old relays with new current Bosch units.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• pabob1960
      Apprentice
      • Apr 11 2004

The relays were installed to permit the system to operate at lower voltage supply. Effective 10-13-59

My conv is not fully auto, so I have never personally worked on these systems

I have seen complete replacement kits for the relays in supply catalogs. I do not know about individual relays. I believe the cost for complete relay bank is around 500$usd

There is a artical in march april 1999 ITC script, page 27.

Pabob
      59Conv

Comment

Check out Keith's Diorama Clinic - a minature scaled automotive model - reallly neat.

There are quite a few baby birds in it - also saw a squarebird.....

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

That's a great Diorama. S-Scale is an underrated scale. The best thing about it is that you can use what is called "HO scale" cars which grew it in the 1970's from 1/87 scale (true HO scale) to closer to 1/64 scale (S scale).

I have a bunch of old American Flyer Trains - the first S Scale trains.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

I am glad you like my car show diorama. I did it to help the car collectors with the scenery. Yes, lots of birds. Just can't find a 1/64 scale 1960 conv for the scene. If you have some American Flyer trains, our Kits are perfect for them. Anyweay,back on topic: I did pay about $500 for the new relays that I have on the block. Just gotta get those other two. I figured there was some sort of mid year change not shown in the shop manual. Guess I have the later car. Interesting thing is that I have had this car for about 10 years sitting in the garage under a cover. I had so much junk piled in front of it, that I could not work on it. It was all painted and ready to assemble. Talk about letting the paint cure before re-assembly...Brother. About 8 years should do it. Just rescently, I descited to sell it and make room for brand x. I washed it and started to move it into the back barn, when I fell in love with it all over. I said to myself, "This baby is not for sale. I would be out of my mind". Was going to make a show car, but now it will be a fun driver. Fair weather ofcourse. It will have garage rights next to 65GTO conv...brand x.
            Thanks, Keith

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

Johnny Lightning makes a 1959 and 1960 Hardtop also. It should be easy enougg to cut off the top with a Dremel tool.

Alexander
              1959 Hardtop
              1960 Golde Top
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

Heh. I have the same Johnny Lightning type squarebird. Its pink (of course) but its a '58 hardtop.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎