X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • booalou
    Apprentice
    • Jun 7 2007

1962 tail light bucket

Have a short in my 1962 Tbird right rear tail light. It works but its very dim most likely a slight ground somewhere. Have checked out most of the wiring and found nothing. I would like to get in behing the light bucket. How do you remove the inner tail light bucket. Do you need to remove the "Q" to get this out to check the wiring?
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

From the parts illustrations books it looks like you need to remove the bumper "Q's" to remove the tail light buckets.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Petrolhead
      Experienced
      • Jul 2 2007

Hi

I just took the rear bumper off my '62 and it looks like that is the only way to remove the buckets. The Qs are bolted to the bumper, the bolts on mine were pretty rusty so I gave them a good soaking with WD40. The Qs tend to rust from the inside out, so while you're in there give them a good clean and coat of a rust preventative paint.
      My '62 may have had the same tailight problem as I found that somebody had run a new wire from the bulb's earth and self-tapper screwed it directly into the car's rear panel.
      Just a suggestion, disconnect the tailight wires where they come through into the trunk, then try to isolate the problem by running power and earth wires from a car battery directly into the plug that's on the end of the wires that come from the offending taillight. If the bulb glows brightly you know it's a fault somwhere in the car's loom; if it stays dim you know the problem's at the tallight bucket.

Comment

• booalou
        Apprentice
        • Jun 7 2007

Thanks for the good sugestion Petrolhead, I will give that a try!

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎