X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

DATA PLATE Engraving

With the recent discussions on ROT sheets and Data Plates, I went to my 60 for info since I have them both.

ROT date 5 24
    ROT schedule date 27E
    Data Plate Date 27E

It was at this point something caught my eye, an additional engraving 94B11585 in the lower left corner of the data plate. Upon getting closer, this data plate was too pristine for a 49 year old car.

This plate may or may not be original. The rivets are new and the silver of the plate has a metallic appearence such as silver paint. The original data is raised as it should be, the additional data is recessed, stamped after the black was applied and isn't the best workmanship for placement.

I've contacted A G Backeast (datatags.com) and spoke to him about records for restored or reproduced data plates he has completed. He didn't answer that directly, but once the plate was described, he claimed this wouldn't have been done by him. He suggested Kevin Marti does plates also and to contact him.

If the original plate was missing, this plate could have been produced using the ROT sheet, so my info may not help when comparing the ROT and Data Plate.

In any case, does anyone recognised the following engraving?
    Attached Files
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop

The rivits are pop rivits. I don't think mine has the extra number. I'll look tomorrow.

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

That looks like an OE data plate to me, it's just that that bottom "unknown" # was added for some reason. Those are replacement rivots as well, someone probably removed the data plate for painting purposes.
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎