X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cbnsingram
    Apprentice
    • Jan 25 2013

1960 convertible resto finally begun

For some reason I'm not able to post photos. I am a paid member unless its expired and I'm not aware. I will the add photos once this gets straightened out.

This is my first restoration of any car. I can't tell you how many people told me it wasn't worth restoring. Unfortunately that just gave me the conviction to give it a shot.

Okay, so this weekend I finally replaced the inner rockers with 2x4 steel. I still need to clean up and treat the remaining surface rust. They are held in place with plug welds on the top and tack welds on the ends. Luckily, as bad as things were, I've still got level doors.

Next I have to do some similar work on the passenger side front suspension frame, and then I'll get it up on a rotisserie and be able to finish welding the rails from underneath.

Thanks to all of the great advice I found on this forum this cancer riddled field car just might drive again someday.
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

The people who told you it wasnt worth restoring were probably all mustang and camaro fans. YAWN.... boring cars.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Mike, I have just checked our system and I do not see anything that should keep you from posting. Your Paid Member status is good into July, so that is not it. Your settings look normal. All I can suggest is that you try a different internet browser and/or restart your computer to see if that fixes the problem. If you are getting an error, please email me and let me know what you are getting.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by cbnsingram
        For some reason I'm not able to post photos. I am a paid member unless its expired and I'm not aware. I will the add photos once this gets straightened out...
        Mike, as long as that "MEMBER" badge is next to your name, you can post pictures directly to our site.

There are picture size restrictions. First, visit this help site and use one of the free programs to resize your pictures. There is a width limit (800-pixels wide) and a file size limit. Not all types of pictures have the same limit.

For example, start with resizing your pictures to 600 wide and save them as jpg or png files. Save them to your hard drive. Then open a post and look at the bottom (Additional Options), and click on 'Manage Attachments'. This should allow you to post a number of pictures in the same post. The file sizes are displayed there as well. If one of your pictures exceeds the max, the warning comes up in small font (you have to look for it). If this happens, resize the picture to a smaller size or a different type and repost it.

I really do want to see your restoration pictures. We never get enough of them and it sounds like you're doing it right. I'm in your corner, rooting for a successful restoration. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

Your post makes me feel so much better about my California car. As I'm stripping the paint to bare metal, I'm finding a lot more bondo than I ever expected. In some areas, the damage is so minor, I almost wonder if these could have been factor defects in the metal stamping. Anyways, it will keep a body guy busy for a while.
          As for your pictures, make sure the format is like 600X400 (I think those are the numbers) or the site won't let you post. Many of my pics needed to be downsized to get them posted.
          Good luck with your project.
          As for the advice givers, I have also found it would have been cheaper for me to buy a restored car than do it myself, but then think of all the fun I would have missed out on.

Nyles

Comment

• cbnsingram
            Apprentice
            • Jan 25 2013

Picture posting

Thanks, I was doing it from my phone last night and that is most likely the problem. I'll add pictures from the computer later.

Originally posted by YellowRose
            Mike, I have just checked our system and I do not see anything that should keep you from posting. Your Paid Member status is good into July, so that is not it. Your settings look normal. All I can suggest is that you try a different internet browser and/or restart your computer to see if that fixes the problem. If you are getting an error, please email me and let me know what you are getting.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

MIke glad to see that you are well underway on the restoration of your 60 convert and look forward to your pixs. Thanks for the compliment about the people on this site as that is why this is the best TBird site on the planet. Most of them have done what you are doing now and more for the love of the TBirds. But mostly they are good People
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• lawyercalif
                Experienced
                • May 12 2011

Glad to see you saving another rusted convertible. I did this not so long ago,
                Including the 2 x 4 metal tubing in the rockers. Makes the car better than new. Good luck on your build.

I enjoyed doing mine so much, when it was finished I started a frame off resto on a 58 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Htp. Just put the body back on the frame last week. I still drive my 59 TBird Convert and it gets a lot of attention at Car Shows.

Comment

• cbnsingram
                  Apprentice
                  • Jan 25 2013

It's on the rotisserie

Couldn't get a decent picture of the whole car yesterday with the shadows. Here is what I came up with for the front and rear brackets. Both pictures are from driver's side.

It is actually fitting in one bay of my 2 car garage, barely. I will likely move it out or at least at an angle for most of the work I do. But out means a down sloping driveway so a little nervous about possible flexing.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• cbnsingram
                    Apprentice
                    • Jan 25 2013

Flying Squarebird Convertible

Here it is on the rotisserie. Forgive the messy workspace. Now that it's finally in the air I can take back 1/2 of the garage so my daughter can get started on parts restoration.

In the one photo it looks like the fender is crunching the garage door, but it's actually got a huge 1/4" of clearance. It gets a bit "heavy" as it approaches 90 degrees of rotation, so I'm glad I got a rotisserie with a geared crank so it doesn't get out of my control. It's already up to the top of the balance adjuster so I don't think I can improve this. I am open to suggestions, but it is fine this way.

Before putting it up in the air I replaced the floor from a donor. The rockers I reinforced with 2x4 steel as recommended on the forum. And, the right front of the frame rails ("L" from in front of the passenger wheel well to the center of the front frame rail) I also pulled from my donor car. $300 for the donor car has already paid for itself.

I played a little with paint removal and will likely blast it in a three-sided tent in the driveway. I was glad to see that the bottom of the car was not as bad as expected, after sitting in a Nebraska field for about 30 years. I will, however, be replacing most of the lower sheet metal, part of the trunk floor and the front floor pans which were bad on the donor.

The fins are a bit mashed as some ninny tried to pry the rear lid opened while it was still in the field. If I cannot get them straight enough I'll have to pull the rear quarters from the donor. The bondo I uncovered on the nose is rock solid so I might leave it there.

I'll add more photos as I go along, including the repaired rockers. They were toast, by the way.

1960 Convertible banking left.jpg 1960 Convertible bottoms up.jpg

1960 Convertible from back.jpg
                    Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thanks for the great pix, Mike! I see you are really getting to it! You mentioned that your parts car has been a valuable asset to this restoration. Is your parts car registered on the Tbird Registry as a parts car? Is the car you are restoring registered also? If not, it would be great to add them to the Registry. www.tbirdregistry.com

Our friend, and fellow member, John Rotella is doing all he can to account for every surviving, crushed, or parts car he can.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• cbnsingram
                        Apprentice
                        • Jan 25 2013

Registry

I'll get those submitted on the weekend. I actually have the donor and two other sedans in hand now as potential donors or restorations.

Comment

• ronhuh
                          • Feb 8 2019

I need some help and info using tubing to reinforce and or replace the rockers. I cant seem to find it in previous post if anyone can help me out with links or message me directly please

I've seen on several different tbird sites that individuals are successfully using Square Tubing to reinforce the inner rockers. Other than seeing that method of repair mentioned I've been unable to find postings with photos or outlining the procedure techniques. If anybody can help me out who has done this or can direct me to a link or send me pictures if they've done it themselves I would greatly appreciate it thank you
                          Last edited by YellowRose; February 26, 2019, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Try these threads:

John
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Ron, I did some searching on here and found the information that I posted some months ago that was provided to me by Don at the Bird Nest. He, and other Squarebird owners have been using the inner rockers from a Big Ford. Here is what he told me and these inner rockers are available from MAC's. If you need inner rocker panels, for a Squarebird, some of the guys who have had to go the route of replacing them with used ones from the 1957 & 1958 Full Sized Fords, Fairlane and Galaxie! He said they fit right in without major modifications. In fact that is what he is using on a car he is working on. He also told me they are available through Mac's Auto Parts there in NY. There are 4dr units and 2dr units, and the 2dr's cost $52 for the Left and $50.29 for the Right! So, IF you need inner rocker panels, there ya go! Here is the Mac's link. Look for the two that are for 2Dr 1957-1958 Fords.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎