CAMSHAFTS

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAMSHAFTS

HI
    i have been having a hard time finding a cam for the earlier fe motors let alone something with a little bump. I hear that you can drill the old fe motors for the cover to take the 1963 and up cams but has anyone done this? Also how about regrinding a stock one and who might be a good choice for that?
    thanks
    mark
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: CAMSHAFTS

It would be difficult to find a performance camshaft for the pre-1963 thrust button camshaft retention system. They are available for about $150 from many Thunderbird part suppliers. I warn you to get the timing gear as a set with the camshaft, since there are apparently two different spacings of the interlock peg. I bought a new camshaft to replace the used one on the rebuilt engine I had, but the camshaft would not fit the new timing gear that was on the engine. Frustration.

The engine can be machined for the post-1963 thrust plate system. This system uses a camshaft with a different face than the thrust button type of camshafts. The timing gears are also different.

If you go for the thrust plate system, a wealth of camshaft options are available to you, including the ones from Carroll Shelby. They also have a large amount of FE parts that fit our engine that are hard to get otherwise. I bought a damper spacer and block to head dowels from them. These are new parts that are next to impossible to get elsewhere. http://www.carrollshelbyent.com/engine_order_form.cfm .

Steve Christ's book on rebuilding FE engines is an excellent reference for doing any work on these engines. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...48742?v=glance

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• pirate
      • Mar 28 2004

Pre 63 Cams can be reground at Lanatti Cams in Memphis Tenn. I agree with Alexander, I would go with the thrust plate and a whole new world is available, in fact a 427 1968 juice cam will work in a 352. This is the only year they had it. You know early 1958 352 Ford engines had solid lifters that were hollow with long pushrods.They discontinued and then made available in 1960. Had heavy lifters cut in the center with much shorter push rods. Holmam Moody had lifters that looked like drill bits for 427s, I have a set. The 68 juice cam has a oil ring on the 3rd bearing race but it will not bother the 352 because it will just put more oil to that bearing. Side oilers all had that and you cannot run pre 65 cams in the unless you machine the oil groove in them. The rockers will not oil.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Maybe this will help with the production break on the FE camshaft. If the image is not large enough to read...right click on it and go to the address under PROPERTIES and there is a blow-up available there.

Here is the address of the gallery hosting this photo...you will be able to blow it up there;

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎