This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
It sounds like you have it grounded correctly. As far as the ignition switch you answered your own question. It's defective. The big problem you will have is changing out the cylinder. You have to be able to turn the key to the accessory position to get it out. You can buy a new ignition switch with the cylinder and keys but then it won't match the door locks.

John
Getting it out? Do you mean removing it from the dash? Because I have had it out of the dash, I pushed the unit in from behind and turned the bezel a quarter turn to the left, and it came right out.
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
Old 07-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

No, I'm talking about removing the cylinder from the switch itself. It normally comes out so if you buy a new switch you can reuse it so you have the same key for the ignition and doors.

John
Old 07-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Experienced

Ok Thanks, we will see what I get when I get it all apart again.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow98cobra View Post
...Question, are these results correct? ( Did I do it right)...On my ignition I cannot turn the key to the left or ACC, key will only move to the right from the OFF position it goes to On and START
Eric, you did well.

I'm with John regarding your Key Switch. It should normally turn to the right AND left. If you have the switch in your hand, notice a small metal button at the base of the tumbler. It's brass in color, inset in an oval hole (located nearly at the base of the large spring).

***Put your key all the way in, turn to the RIGHT (ignition posiion), poke that brass button down with a thin key , then pull straight out. The tumbler will easily come straight out.

To re-insert, put the key in the tumbler. Notce the brass button will only depress in one position. With the button down, slide the assembly in and line-up the brass button with the hole then turn to the left. The brass button will pop up and into position.

Key Switches are normally sold without the key and tumbler. You can find them WITH the key and tumbler if you need them (for about ten bucks more). - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Experienced

I have pulled the Ignition switch and the Light switch and I have found no loose connections. While I wait for the new Ignition switch to arrive. I thought I would move over to the Heater defroster slide switch. It will not move all the way to the left. What do I need to do to fix this?
Thanks Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2087copy.jpg (59.6 KB, 73 views)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Slow Typist

Determine if the cable is opening/closing the appropriate doors. Sometimes these doors rust, inhibiting full operation (it also squeaks when going through the range of motion). One of mine had a rubber 'seal' that fell apart from age so I replaced it with soft leather.

These cables have adjustment 'takeups' for fine tuning.

BTW, did you pull your tumbler out of the defective key switch?

--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post

BTW, did you pull your tumbler out of the defective key switch?
I tought I would wait until I have the new switch to put it in before I took it out. I did put my key in it and turned it to the right and I see the Pin in the oval hole that needs to be pushed, It does not appear to be brass. Is there a chance the tumbler is bad and that is why it wont turn to the left?

I was just reading the Manual and it explains adjusting the control levers. My garage has reached the its to hot to work in stage for today. I will look at it in the morning. I am also going to pull the whole center tunnel and see what kind of mess the mouse has left for me ( I found mouse droppings when I removed the upper piece).
Old 08-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow98cobra View Post
...Is there a chance the tumbler is bad and that is why it wont turn to the left?..
When you pull the tumbler out, you can then use a large flat blade screwdriver to turn the switch.

Soooo... you can buy either the switch, tumbler, or both. Under the stainless cover (on the tumbler) are the brass pins. A locksmith can make any key fit your tumbler by changing these five pin lengths. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Experienced

I got the new Igintion switch in, it now turns to ACC, with the car running the Temp Gauge, Turn signals & Dash lights work (I by passed the rheostat). The Gas gauge does not work, I dont know why it appeared to read a 1/2 tank before as there was no way there that much gas in it, It ran out of gas after only ideling in the garage for about 10 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2092.JPG (102.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The easiest way to check your gauge is to remove the wire from the fuel sender. Your gauge should read empty. Then ground the wire. The gauge should go all the way to full. If that tests out ok then it's either your sender or it's not getting a good ground.

John