This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road
Default Feeling a little braver today, Insturment panel removal.

I have read everything I could find about this.

Can i just remove the speedometer and remove the speed nuts to pull it out the panel enough to get a look at the CVR and the wiring?
If I have to remove the panel completly from the car do all of the switches and gauges have to come off?
How do I remove the light switch with out the special tool?

Thanks, Eric
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Experienced

LuckyJay is on a distinguished road

Don't remove the speedo, just the Temp/Fuel gauge. The CVR should be at about the 1 o'clock position on the back side of the cluster.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road

??? will I be able to see well enough inside there. or are you saying that I can reach the speenuts to remove the whole insturment panel from there?
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
Old 07-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Experienced

LuckyJay is on a distinguished road
Cool

I have big hands, I can reach inside the opening for the Temp/Fuel gauge. But, you don't really have to because the CVR just sets on a small peg to ground it. Be sure that if you disconnect any wires that you first label everything. Also, it's very wise to disconnect the battery while you're working in there. Don't take out the whole cluster, just the gauge combo which will have some instrument lamps that just friction fit into the holes on the back of the gauges.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Filling a little braver today, Insturment panel removal.

Eric, read my post in the other thread you posted regarding your Temperature gauge reading. You may NOT have a CVR problem, IF you are getting a good reading on that Temp gauge. If, when you turn the key on, the Temp gauge needle goes up a bit, that should tell you that you have voltage to that gauge. If, when you start the engine and let it run for a bit, the needle goes up further to the right side of the letter T, that is good. If you have voltage to that gauge, you probably have voltage to your Fuel gauge also. Read that post and check things out further, before you try to pull the instrument panel or the gauges out...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The easiest way to check your CVR is to take the wire off the temp sender and put a test light on it. Turn the key on. If the light pulses off and on then your CVR is most likely good. If the light is solid or you get no light then it could be defective. I wouldn't go through the trouble of removing it until you test it first.

John
Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for that tech tip! I did not know that you could check to see if the CVR unit was working correctly by doing that test! You learn something new every day on this Forum! Do you mind if I add that to the Technical Resource Library? What an easy way to check the CVR unit without having to take the gauge out to get either to the dash post it is grounded to, or to the CVR unit mounted on the back of the instrument panel!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Ray,

Normally I use a voltmeter but for a novice it's a much easier method and it's always proven accurate for me whenever a voltmeter wasn't handy. If you think it's worth adding go right ahead.

John
Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 PM

Thanks, John. I will add that later on tonight. I hope Eric has not torn into his instrument panel or taken out his gauge yet. It is a good idea to wait a bit, it looks like, before you start a project until you get more input from the membership. John just gave us a great tip that I did not know about, or think about, regarding how to check your CVR unit without getting into it!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

yellow98cobra,

You are in the exact same position as I was three summers ago.

This site, as well as a copy of the Ford Shop Manual (gold-mine of information) for your car, will be all the help you need.

Your 'Bird looks very nice by the way