X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Transmission fluid change

So since i had no idea when the transmission fluid was changed before, i decided to do it now.
    I had ordered a new filter and pan gasket a while ago.
    On the dipstick the fluid had a light red/brown color, but while draining the pan, the fluid looked quite dark.
    In the pan is a small magnet, which has quite some very fine metal on it (more like metal dust mixed with fluid). There are also some glinsters in the fluid under in the pan. And a thin layer of a dark mudlike substance. The last i presume to be worn friction material. The transmission internals look very clean.
    I was checking how to adjust the front band, but the manual mentions a special tool. Can the adjustment be done without special tool?
    To my surprise the new filter has the filter screen on the top side, where it connects to the pump inlets, while the old one has the screen on the lower side. Can it be used like this?
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Frango100
    To my surprise the new filter has the filter screen on the top side, where it connects to the pump inlets, while the old one has the screen on the lower side. Can it be used like this?
    The filter sits in the fluid so it really doesn't matter where the screen is as long as it prevents anything harmful from getting into the pickup. I can't say I've ever replaced a filter. The original one is metal mesh and a good cleaning is all it really needs.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

Thanks John. I bought a filter kit with the filter and seal. The old filter/screen seems to be ok, only the opening for the pump inlets seems to be a bit too large. I will try the new filter/screen.
      Any idea on how to adjust the front band without special tool?
      sigpicFrank

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Frango100

Any idea on how to adjust the front band without special tool?
        I've never tried it. Maybe Dave might know if you send him a PM.

John

Comment

• Frango100
          Experienced
          • May 2 2016

Some googling showed that the special tool is in fact a 1/4 " piece of metal spacer which should be held in between the adjusting screw and the servo piston stem.
          The screw should be torqued to 10 "lbs. Then the spacer must be removed and the screw loosened 1 full turn and then the locknut fastened. Will try this tomorrow.
          Last edited by Frango100; November 4, 2017, 07:22 PM.
          sigpicFrank

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

FRONT BAND ADJUSTMENT
            1. Remove trans oil pan and back off the adjusting screw lock nut and adjusting screw far enough to insert a ¼” wide metal block in between the servo piston rod and the adjusting screw.

2. Turn the screw until it contacts the metal block. Then tighten screw LIGHTLY (about 10 inch pounds) then back off one full turn.
            3. Hold the adjustment screw and tighten the lock nut to 20-25 foot pounds.

REAR BAND ADJUSTMENT
            1. Loosen the lock nut and tighten the adjusting screw to 10 foot pounds.
            2. Back off the adjusting screw 1-½ turns and tighten the lock nut to 35-40 foot pounds.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
            ...BTW, hey Frango100... When are you going to become a paid member??? When you do, I have something for you. - Dave
            I asked you a couple months ago but never got an answer. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
              Experienced
              • May 2 2016

Thanks for the answer Dave.
              Regarding your question, i even didn´t see it before. I did answer to a question in that post, but didn´t follow what was coming after.
              But yeh, you are right, its about time to become a paying member on here.
              sigpicFrank

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Transmission fluid change

Frank, please look for the Private Message I just sent you regarding your new Paid Membership. Also, check out Anything Goes, Paid Members Forum regarding it! Welcome aboard!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Frango100
                  Experienced
                  • May 2 2016

So i just checked and adjusted the front band. Used a 1/4" extension as the adjusting block. It was not far of though.
                  The new filter (brand Pioneer)unfortunately doesn´t fit. It looks very much the same as the old filter, only the large hole is not large enough to fit the pump inlet. Or it must go on with quite some force, which i doubt. The old filter has a 7/8" opening, while the new one is 27/32". The old filter is not a metal mesh filter, it is some kind of nylon mesh.
                  Also there is a (small) difference in the distance between the two holes. Bought this filter from Rockauto.
                  Then something else, the fluid. Here in Brazil i can´t find any type F fluid. Also not sure what was used in it before, but the car came with a small bottle of Dexron III. (which could be for the power steering). Is there any modern fluid which can be used safely?
                  sigpicFrank

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Frank,

Which set did you buy. I'm pretty sure ATP-B41 is the correct filter and gasket set. I believe Rockauto has the incorrect listing. They show B33 which I think is the large case (430) filter. I would call and see if you can return it and get the correct one.

John

Comment

• partsetal
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 4 2005

John is correct on the B-41 filter. The other one is also for a medium case Cruise-O-Matic but for later years, not the Large case. The part number trail from the Ford part to aftermarket gets quite involved and has a few errors.

Comment

• Frango100
                        Experienced
                        • May 2 2016

The pan seal in the kit has the exact size. I think I will go for the "cleaning the old filter" option, since sending a new filter will take several weeks and the shipping costs will be just too expensive.
                        Looking at the Rockauto site for the ATP-B41 filter kit, I see also two O-rings in the kit, are they suppost to go on the pump inlets? There was nothing on it now and also nothing in the kit I received.
                        And is there an alternative for the fluid type F? Can´t find it in Brazil.
                        sigpicFrank

Comment

• Tbird1044
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jul 31 2012

Frank:
                          We'll see what some of the old timers say about this, but I recently had my trans rebuilt by a shop that works on a lot of the old Ford COM's etc and when I ask them what they use for fluid, they told me DEX/Merc. Don't have a lot of miles on the tranny, but that is what they use. Here's a link to the Castrol site that says it is okay for older Fords. https://www.castrol.com/en_cc/ccsa/p...-dex-merc.html
                          Nyles

Comment

• scumdog
                            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                            Frank:
                            We'll see what some of the old timers say about this, but I recently had my trans rebuilt by a shop that works on a lot of the old Ford COM's etc and when I ask them what they use for fluid, they told me DEX/Merc. Don't have a lot of miles on the tranny, but that is what they use. Here's a link to the Castrol site that says it is okay for older Fords. https://www.castrol.com/en_cc/ccsa/p...-dex-merc.html
                            Nyles
                            Old original transmissons need the type F but recently rebuilt ones have different face material on the friction surfaces and modern fluids can be used with them.
                            Or so I'm led to believe.
                            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• partsetal
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jun 4 2005

Type A ATF was used 'back in the day' as a replacement for type F.
                              Carl

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎