X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Squarebird Wheel Specs

Seems I have a chronic left front original steel wheel bead leaker. The shop just keeps putting more sealer and it's unlikely they'll do more labor to it. The wheel is slightly crimped at the bead, also.

Bird's Nest wants about $120 plus shipping (no way) and I think this is a standard Ford 14" x 6.5", zero offset, and a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. Anyone confirm?

I'd swap the spare tire wheel, but that isn't too bright unless I want a spare at 13 lbs. So I'm considering an aftermarket clone steel wheel if I can verify the specs, or listen to the other voices of reason.

Dean
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Ford 14" rims from the early-mid 90's fit just fine and they're a lot cheaper than buying new rims. You will find them on Ranger pickups and Aerostar Vans among others. The bolt pattern is 5 X 4.5(114.3).

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Woobie
      Experienced
      • Apr 1 2016

The only other original spec that i can think of is the originals are not a vented wheel.

Anyway, I'd want to see the wheel before letting the shop throw it in the recycling pile.

There was also a previous thread and some of the information dealt with a specific sequence to dismount and mount the tires.
      Austin

Comment

• Deanj
        Super-Experienced
        • Nov 26 2015

Originally posted by jopizz
        Ford 14" rims from the early-mid 90's fit just fine and they're a lot cheaper than buying new rims. You will find them on Ranger pickups and Aerostar Vans among others. The bolt pattern is 5 X 4.5(114.3).

John
        The Ranger and Aerostar are 14 x 6 with a 70.3 center bore. Was my 14 x 6.5 incorrect?

Dean

Comment

• sidewalkman
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Deanj
          The Ranger and Aerostar are 14 x 6 with a 70.3 center bore. Was my 14 x 6.5 incorrect?

Dean
          Pretty sure stock is only 6"
          Scott
          South Delta, BC, Canada
          1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
          Red Leather Interior!
          www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
          Thunderbird Registry #61266
          http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• OX1
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 10 2016

I have an extra set of rims I got with my 59, plus I bought rims for the front disks, and then rims with less backspacing for the back, to closer match the front.

I think I might have 7 (might have used a stock wheel for spare, don't recall) or 8 wheels I don't need any longer. You want one, it is yours for the fair
            59-430-HT

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

That is very kind of you. I need a couple days to see if this refitted wheel holds air or we need to start calculating!

Dean

Comment

• del
                Retired Expert Enthusiast
                • May 11 2010

Originally posted by Woobie
                There was also a previous thread and some of the information dealt with a specific sequence to dismount and mount the tires.
                My local shop (for modern cars) learned the hard way that the tires must be removed from these wheels starting with the outside facing down of the machine. Otherwise the bead gets messed up.
                Regards,
                Don Vincent
                Amherst NY
                1960 HT 352
                TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Deanj
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Nov 26 2015

Originally posted by OX1
                  I have an extra set of rims I got with my 59, plus I bought rims for the front disks, and then rims with less backspacing for the back, to closer match the front.

I think I might have 7 (might have used a stock wheel for spare, don't recall) or 8 wheels I don't need any longer. You want one, it is yours for the fair
                  I'll be sending you a private message since this tire is still leaking. They fix one place and another by a slightly bent area is leaking. I can't pass up the opportunity.

Dean

Comment

• Deanj
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Nov 26 2015

I'd like to thank OX1, Oxley, for his spare wheel which I'm substituting for my leaky original. This was very kind of him.

I sanded the entire wheel paying close attention to the bead, applied rust converter, and painted it. Beautiful. It's now curing a few days before delivering it and the leaker to the goof ball tire experts for a new mount and balance.

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As already stated make sure they mount it with the inside up.

John
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Nov 26 2015

Originally posted by jopizz
                        As already stated make sure they mount it with the inside up.

John
                        Right, well I think these guys believe they've seen and done it all because they didn't listen to me. I caught them mounting the tire outside up-twice. I say twice because the tire still leaks a bit no matter how much bead sealer the use.

Conclusion: First, it seems P215 75R14 are recommended to replace the 8x14 originals. I say go with P225 75R14 because my speedo is off-reading a few MPH high. This larger size should match up better with the approximate 27.5 inch height of the originals.

It seems I used 2 recommended Tire Rack installers, the second for my T-Bird install. I didn't buy these Coker's from the installer or Tire Rack, but neither listen to the customer much.

Last, before you use the spare tire wheel for your new tires, check it out closely. It might be the spare because of damage or poor condition.

Dean

Comment

• sidewalkman
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Deanj
                          It seems I used 2 recommended Tire Rack installers, the second for my T-Bird install. I didn't buy these Coker's from the installer or Tire Rack, but neither listen to the customer much.

Dean
                          Make sure if your installer is mounting the new tires they aren't idiots. Mine was, and the first tire he tore the sidewall and bead to shreds, then replaced it with an old Coker he found someplace. 1 year later the replacement wide whitewall is a wide biegewall.
                          Scott
                          South Delta, BC, Canada
                          1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                          Red Leather Interior!
                          www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                          Thunderbird Registry #61266
                          http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Nov 26 2015

Right! I remember buying 7.75x14 Firestone bias ply tires for $25 each in 1971. These Coker Nostalgia wide whites are the least expensive at around $225 each. It ridiculous considering I could buy 20" diameter super tires for that price.

These tires aren't much different from the old Firestone 721's, so if someone wants to team up with Firestone to produce a $125 wide whitewall, I'm in favor.

Dean

Comment

• OX1
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Feb 10 2016

Is it the Coker tires? I've had several different tires on/off
                              the stock rims without issues?
                              59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎