Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Brushes are identical between both starter motors. Since the 430 starter has the components rotated inside it is important you keep the 430 housing with the same 430 brush holder plate in the rear. They are keyed to align together before the long bolts go in.

Assembly should not be difficult or frustrating. BTW, I seriously doubt any of the housing parts are new because Ford used them since the 1940s. The reason the housing is so heavy is because it actually conducts magnetism through the shoes (beginning at the field windings).

As a side note, look at the brush holders. Two are riveted to the back plate with insulators. The other two are riveted directly to the back plate with no insulators. This is correct. If you need to change a brush holder, simply drill the old rivets out and replace with a good one. If it had insulators, be sure to put them back in. You can use rivets or small screws & nuts but they must be tight. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Djweaz
      While putting my starter back together I noticed something. I lined the starters up with the positive bolt in the same direction towards me. I switched just the top plate that clocks it. That top plate is the only thing different, so I will be able to use everything new except I will use the original plate. I have been having a bear of a time getting the brushes in the right place over the shade. If you put the spring on it pushes it right through. If you leave the spring off you can’t get in there to put the spring on so I have been trying to leave the spring partly on on the edge. It’s still rough to do. I’ve been trying different ways to try to work with the shaft. Anybody have a less difficult way to do the brushes? I do it for a little bit at a time and stop when I get aggravated so I don’t be break the wire leads.
      From my memory (which has been known to be faulty at times!) I used thick thread and the shank of a pop-rivet to hold the spring high enough that it wasn't putting pressure on the brush.
      Once the shaft is in place I cut the thread to release the springs.
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Make a simple tool out of coat hanger. Bend it into a '7' as shown in this picture:

Notice that I put the wire tool between the pigtails, grab the spring and pull it up. It's that easy.

Insert the brush and ease the spring down onto the center of the brush. You're not done until you grab the pigtails with your wire tool and pull the brush up and down. If any resistance happens get it fixed before you go any further. The brush should slide easily in the holder without getting hung up. This also tests to see if the pigtails are secure and won't come out of their connection. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎