This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:47 PM
Experienced

ssj335 is on a distinguished road

Thank you! Maybe the belt is slipping it did have a slightly odd sound. That or the battery isn't good. I bet the generator and VR were both good and it was the battery the whole time. Maybe the starter solenoid and every part that was changed was good part. Who knows?
Old 08-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Car Broke Down First Drive

John gave you some good information, especially the model battery to get. If you do not want to risk driving the car to an Autozone or Advance Auto for a free battery check, pull the battery, and take it to them in your regular car. Yes I know they get heavy, but have your car close by so you can take it from the Tbird and put it in the trunk or passenger footwell. Let them lift it out of the car and handle it from there. They should be able to check it while you wait, and tell you what is wrong with the battery, if anything. If it is bad, they should be able to sell you an already charged 27F battery replacement on the spot. You may want to tell them about that battery terminal that melted off. If you drive the car, perhaps they can check the generator belt for slippage..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-17-2018, 12:47 AM
Experienced

Such excellent advice thank you!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:42 AM

Kirsten sent me a few more pix, of the trunk and the trunk rubber weatherstripping. Here is what she said and the pix.

"Hey Ray here are some photos of the trunk. And the weatherstripping. I don't know if those little holes are plugged up properly."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180816_220450.jpg (77.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180816_220509.jpg (46.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180816_220502.jpg (26.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180816_220610.jpg (89.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180816_220617.jpg (99.9 KB, 37 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
Old 08-17-2018, 09:11 AM
Experienced

Thank you. Question - will a car battery be able to be charged period? I know the mechanic did charge the battery twice. Do you mean the generator won't give it a charge, or that it won't take a charge no matter what?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:16 AM

If there is nothing wrong with the battery, it should take a charge again. If there is a bad cell(s), or something else wrong with it, like that battery post, that prevents it from being charged, they will should be able to tell you that when they check it.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-17-2018, 09:38 AM
Experienced

Ok so it is worth checking then right?

Even though the generator doesn't seem to be charging it, but the mechanic charged it so it is worth checking out?

I also wonder if it could be belt. Mechanic was incompetent so couldn't screwed up when putting that on.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:57 AM

Certainly, it is worth having Autozone, or Advanced Auto or someone else check the battery to see if there is something wrong with it, especially since they do not charge you for that. That is the battery that was in the car when you bought it, right? As John said, if it has a damaged cell(s), or other problems, it will not take a charge and needs to be replaced. If the battery checks out good, then a good mechanic needs to tighten that belt for you, because if it is slipping, it may not be charging the battery.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-17-2018, 10:44 AM
Experienced

So I was interrupted while attempting this and ran out of time. But can you tell me which bolts to unscrew on this? The two on top seem very easy to do, the side one is harder to reach.

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...Gpv-R7zzBj5fEM

Drove the car a few blocks before this and this time the light did not come on. The squealing sound also was gone. Is it possible that the belt slipped back into place when the car was started up? I looked and the belt didn't seem askew.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:09 AM

Do NOT unscrew the bolts that hold the Negative or Positive battery cable to the battery post connector. Just work with the battery connector on the posts.

To slip the battery connection off the posts, just unscrew the nut on the end of the battery connector far enough out that that, hopefully, it will come off the post when you pull up on it. That nut is what tighten and locks the battery cable and connector to the post. Loosen that nut a lot and try and pull the connector on the post up. If loose enough, it should come up off the post. To loosen it up a bit more, you might have to put a flat blade screwdriver between the two sides of the clamp and turn the screwdriver so it forces the clamp apart a bit more to lift the connector off the post. Remove the negative post connector first. Then do the same thing to the positive side.

As for a battery clamp down, usually you will see a piece of metal across the battery with a wingnut on each side holding a bar in place that goes down underneath the battery and hooks in a hole. The same thing applies to both sides of the battery. This is the battery hold down piece that keeps the battery in place, and from moving around. It looks like this in the picture. You will see that the ends of it are hooked so they lock into a hole on the bottom of the metal battery holder.

As for the belt slipping back in place, it is possible, but someone who knows how to properly tighten that belt, needs to check and see if it is loose. Usually, the is an adjustment slot on the generator mounting bracket that allows a mechanic to loosen or tighten the belt. Most mechanics should know how to set the proper tension on a drive belt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BATCLAMP600.jpg (27.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 22-5-00640-8-2.jpg (25.1 KB, 36 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-17-2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Additional Pic