Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Infinite Monkeys
    Apprentice
    • Aug 24 2017

I beveled the rod to take the sharp edge off, the bevel is still well above the seals. All the seals now slide on without a problem. The new, ripped seal went on without an issue. I just need to wait till I get the new one's in to see how it'll work, but I think I got it.
    Second picture is of the rod fully retracted.

Thanks again.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
      Apprentice
      • Aug 24 2017

Originally posted by jopizz
      I don't know what to tell you. As you can see by the diagram the seals go on either end of the spool. The lip of the seal goes toward the center of the spool.

John
      Hi John,
      Looks like I'm missing the outer most valve seal bushing in the control valve. What are my options?
      Thanks.
      Last edited by Infinite Monkeys; September 8, 2017, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
        Apprentice
        • Aug 24 2017

So I drilled out a washer and it fits pretty good over the valve and in the bore. This is pretty thin.

Another options is to use a spare washer that came in the seal kit for the ram. This washer is much thicker and also fits well.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I had the same problem with one of mine. The thin bushing was cracked. If you can make a washer the same thickness and diameter that should work. That's what I did. They don't seem to be available. The full kits have plastic bushings but they don't have one that fits the '59-'60 valves. It's not that critical as long as it fits snugly in the bore and doesn't bind.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
            Apprentice
            • Aug 24 2017

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm referring to the left side, outer most valve spool seal bushing. Not the plastic piece. Not the centering spring, plastic bushing.

Currently I have the slightly fatter washer that came with the ram kit test fitted. It fits well and is not galled like the make-shift one I made.

My reference is the diagram you posted below.

Mine is just plain missing. Valve appears to be newer. Maybe it was never installed during the rebuild.

Thanks.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

We're talking about the same thing. The real thin steel bushing that goes on the outer larger end of the spool. As long as it's not too much thicker than the other bushing it should work. As I said the new bushings are plastic so it's basically just a spacer. I imagine it broke and whoever put it back together didn't feel it was necessary. Without that bushing it was destined to leak.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
                Apprentice
                • Aug 24 2017

Ok, I'll put in the thinner one.
                Thanks again.

Edit:

Got everything put together and came back in to look over the thread. Found John's reference to the fatter end of the spool facing out.

This is not how it was put together. The thinner end was out and the inner, centering spring washer was also, originally put in backwards.
                I has assembled it as I found it (backwards) and just had to go back and redo properly.
                Last edited by Infinite Monkeys; September 8, 2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎